Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card with Tv Tuner?  (Read 2937 times)

chris.mccorkhill

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    Video Card with Tv Tuner?
    « on: June 02, 2008, 10:20:36 PM »
    I have two monitors that both use DVI or VGA. I would prefer to be using DVI on both of them. I am building my first computer and I was wondering if there is either a tv tuner that would accept coax cable in and then DVI out to two monitors, or if there is a video card that has 2 DVI outs and an input of coax cable for tv. I don't have a tv in my room and would prefer to watch it on a HD monitor rather than buying a new tv. This would also save me an extra PCI slot. I am not a gamer, so the graphics card part of it doesn't have to be amazing with a physics processor or anything since the most I'll need it to do is play the digital/analog signal for tv and maybe a flash game or two when I get bored. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

chris.mccorkhill

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      Re: Video Card with Tv Tuner?
      « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 09:45:10 AM »
      If you just don't know if it exists please tell me that. I have looked and am unable to find anything like that.

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 11:18:30 AM »
        Sure, there are many video cards with Dual-DVI output connectors.

Discern whether your motherboard supports PCI-Express of AGP and buy the cheapest card from this list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069109631&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=
        That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »
          chris.mccorkhill,I do not have any vested intertest in the company i am about to suggest.However i have used many of their products and for the most part have been satisfied with the product and the tech support.Please examine their product line to see if they do have something that will achieve your goal.If you do not see it represented i would call them (i am sure they have a toll free #) and describe your objectives and see what they advise. good luck and welcome to CH forums. truenorth http://www.hauppauge.com/

chris.mccorkhill

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
            « Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:27:31 AM »
            track- that is not at all what i was asking. i know they make video cards with dual dvi. i want one that also has a tv tuner in it.

truenorth- thank you for your advise. last night i actually sent a message to them asking if they support dual monitors but they do not. if i were to use one of their products, it will only work with one monitor. if you know any other companies that might have something, please let me know and i'll check it out.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:48:11 AM »
            Here's a device that converts cable to vga. Is that more along the lines of what you want?
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100002

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 11:51:44 AM »
              chris.mccorkhill, As to further manufacturers that may offer a product to suit your needs i regret to say i can not (from personal experience) suggest any others. However were i in your shoes i would link to the following URL and have a look at what is offered and if there is nothing there i would take a few of the leaders in the field IE: "NVidia" and try to call them--always better in my opinion than e-mail--because the opportunity for clarification is greater and the instances of misunderstanding should be lessened. http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=VCD It may be that what you seek is not available but without more searching i wouldn't give up yet.Don't be shy to ask them --even if they don't make it --if they can suggest some other manufacturer that might. good luck ,truenorth

michaewlewis

Intermediate
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 12:34:42 PM »
              just out of curiosity, why are you trying to keep a pci slot free? What are your plans for it? Don't keep it free just to have a spare, you'll never use it. How many pci slots are actually available?

chris.mccorkhill

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                « Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 09:53:01 PM »
                truenorth- thank you and i will call try to call NVidia tomorrow between my summer classes that i'm taking to see if they offer something that would help me.

p.s. spammers are retarded and i reported "her" too

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Computer Hope
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Guru
                « Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 12:03:37 PM »
                FYI: Spammer has been banned. SPAM post and posts relating to spam also removed to clean up this post.
                Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
                -Albert Einstein

DwayneZ

Rookie
                  « Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 12:52:46 AM »
                  If you just don't know if it exists please tell me that. I have looked and am unable to find anything like that.
                  Try http://www.mygpu.info/
                  Lots of it in there.
                  Graphic Cards Reviews
                  http://www.mygpu.info/

chris.mccorkhill

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                    « Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 05:35:43 AM »
                    dwaynez, you didn't read what i was looking for. i'm not looking for a great video card with a GPU, i don't play video games. i want a video card with a tv tuner card all built in one.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 09:01:58 AM »
                    chris, why do you need to keep a pci slot empty? how many are available?