Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Power problem...  (Read 13021 times)

ultimatum

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Computer Power problem...
    « on: June 03, 2008, 07:21:21 PM »
    Hey there guys,

Haven't been here in a while, well here it goes. A friend of mine told me that his computer suddenly stopped powering on for no reason, I checked it out and it seemed like the power supply died since the mobo light didn't go on anymore. So, I bought a new power supply which made the mobo light go on and still it wouldn't power, absolutely no sign of life. The computer is pretty old not additional hardware or software has been installed, its stock and not much to it.

Any ideas or suggestions what could be the problem or how to check for other possible problems? Thanks guys. ???
    Its not what you know, its what you can do that counts!

brett74

Apprentice

Re: Computer Power problem...
      « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:15:13 PM »
      hi can we get the system specs please so that we can further help you

Frankie

Apprentice
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:22:20 PM »
        Are any fans spinning in the computer including the Psu fan. Is the harddrive working?

As soon as the PC powers up, you should be able to hear the harddrive motor spin the drive (like a very, very, quiet jet taking off) and the read/write head seeking (a gentle clunking sound). If you're absolutely baffled as to whether or not the drive is spinning up, due to background noise or hearing problems, you can resort to feeling the Harddrive cover. Making sure that you do not touch any wires or circuitry under the Harddrive.
        « Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:39:53 PM by Frankie »

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 09:31:02 PM »
          he just said that he had no signs of life just the light on the mobo

Frankie

Apprentice
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:34:33 PM »

I read what he said but sometimes people overlook these things! I already belive I know what it is, do you! Also what specs do you want of him and for what reason! Please be more precise!!!!

He said "no signs of life, just the light on the MB" Well to me, that's a sign of life. Not a very good one, but a sign!!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:49:17 AM by Frankie »

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:41:49 PM »

I read what he said but sometimes people overlook these things! I already belive i know what it is, do you! Also what specs do you want of him and for what reason! Please be more precise!!!!

Let's not keep the OP in suspense...if you know what it is...please just tell the OP.

Frankie

Apprentice
            • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
              « Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 09:46:11 PM »

I read what he said but sometimes people overlook these things! I already belive i know what it is, do you! Also what specs do you want of him and for what reason! Please be more precise!!!!

Let's not keep the OP in suspense...if you know what it is...please just tell the OP.

I am not going to say what I think when my questions have not been answered!!
              « Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 10:36:37 PM by Frankie »

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »
                it maybe a short but not sure I would check everything over again to make sure nothing would be shorting the mobo out

Frankie

Apprentice
                • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                  « Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 10:06:05 PM »
                  Brett
                  In future when I ask something it's for a reason, so stop questioning the things I ask! This isn't the first time you have done this and I find it annoying! The Guy wants all the help he can get without you questioning every post!!!!
                  « Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:47:00 PM by Frankie »

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 10:09:03 PM »
                    hey you are annoying one and next give better advice too not a dumb one like you did tonight

Frankie

Apprentice
                    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                      « Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 10:11:51 PM »
                      it maybe a short but not sure

What like this! Say no more!!

I asked the poster questions to definitely rule out his power supply! What is so dumb about that!!
                      « Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:13:43 AM by Frankie »

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 10:18:50 PM »
                      Guys...please keep your bickering within the confines of PMs and not the forums, please.

This is a big turn-off to those looking for computer help...agreed?

Frankie

Apprentice
                      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                        « Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 10:26:07 PM »
                        Guys...please keep your bickering within the confines of PMs and not the forums, please.

This is a big turn-off to those looking for computer help...agreed?

Agreed! But at the end of the day I'm only here to help and not to be questioned about my advice!!
                        « Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:04:37 AM by Frankie »

Frankie

Apprentice
                        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                          « Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 12:02:49 AM »
                          There is a possibility that the motherboard may be faulty. But rather then exchanging that right now for a new one; I felt it better to test other things first. What is the point in buying a new mainboard if you don't need one!!  ::) ::)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:34:07 PM by Frankie »

homer

Expert
                            « Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 12:06:40 AM »
                            But at the end of the day I'm only here to help and not be questioned about my posts on advice!!

but you will be questioned at one time or another. you have to, at any time, be prepared to defend your statements. yes, it can get annoying, but as long as you know what you are talking about and as long as you can back your statements up you will be fine.

as for the PSU problem, is this PSU of equal or greater wattage? are all connections secure and correct? triple check all your connections. if everything seems to be in order and the comp still will not turn on, remove all connections from the power supply, except the main 120v or 220v connector. insure that the kill switch on the back of the power supply is on, then get a paper clip and jumper the green wire to any black wire on the main 20+4 or 24 pin connector. if the PSU is in good shape, the power supply will turn on and you should hear the power supply fan kick on.
                            « Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:24:05 AM by homer »