Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wondering CH Question  (Read 2808 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Wondering CH Question
    « on: June 05, 2008, 06:10:41 PM »
    Okay seeing that some people come here looking for a solution to there problems, they creat a user name in order to post such.  However some only use it once an other can be regulars.  But does it take up room an stuff?  Like does anyone else find it a problem?
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Dairyman

Beginner

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Wondering CH Question
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 07:51:28 PM »
    I think I remember reading that the posts only take up really small disk space. I don't know about the accounts, nor am I any expert on SMF.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 08:03:05 PM »
    Anything created on the forums, user icons, pictures, user account, post, etc. can all take up disk space on Computer Hope. However, the actual posts and accounts are as Dairyman mentioned small. However, in large quantities it can consume a lot of disk space, which is why every once in a while I'll delete old user accounts (e.g. accounts that haven't been used for several years). However, no post (unless forum violation or user deletes it) is deleted.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 03:13:47 AM »
    How much disk space does CH currently use?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 04:25:42 AM »
      Oh just wondering thanks, thought maybe I could post another idea but it seems like the way your doing it is okay.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 04:48:40 PM »
      How much disk space does CH currently use?

Forums without attachments is around 400MB, attachments hover around 90MB, site pages and images at around 300MB, incoming daily log of traffic about 250-400MB.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 05:02:07 PM »
        ITs not as bad as if it where rapidly eatting space then.  So there no need for my idea then didnt really care just a thought if it did.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 08:04:41 PM »
        Squall, you have too realize, bandwidth is actually rather narrow, everything must be right for a site too properly load, otherwise, your PC is going too have so much data shoved through its ports its going too likely crash the browser (sometimes windows explorer too if you use internet explorer). A good example of this are the often ridiculed myspace pages loaded with so much insecure java and flash content that it will crash you near instantly.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 03:10:08 AM »
          I understand that you can only force some much threw the pipe.  But I thought if you had a fast connection that wouldnt be a problem.

!~*:.Pink Floyd.:*~!

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 02:26:44 PM »
          maybe this is were my idea comes in when you create an account you can post  how long you want this account to stay alive, and when that times up you will recieve two emails asking if youd like to delete your account or stay active after 30 days of not being active it will be deleted or you can tell one more time from a second email that you want to be kept alive 30 more days.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 03:46:19 PM »
            I was thinking the same thing some what however yours is a little difficult for the basic user some what.