Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I'm not sure how to describe this.  (Read 6721 times)

ThanksForHelp

Topic Starter

Rookie

I'm not sure how to describe this.
    « on: June 07, 2008, 12:52:15 PM »
    I looked around the forums before posting this but I couldn't find one that really related to this. 
    Recently my power supply stopped working so I just bought a new one to replace it.  After installing the new PSU, I was getting repeating beeps from my bios.  I took it into the tech guy in my workplace and he fixed that problem for me.  I took it home and tried to hook it up to a monitor but nothing is being sent to the monitor.  I've tested the new PSU to make sure it's working, replaced the RAM and the motherboard but nothing seems to help.  I've tested it on a few monitors that are confirmed to be working, using both the onboard and video card outputs but still nothing.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated and if there is any more information anybody needs tell me.
    Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows Vista.

xavier

Re: I'm not sure how to describe this.
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:05:39 PM »
    If your power supply is good & ram,V card is also good it has to be the cpu or the board.

ThanksForHelp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 07:12:39 PM »
      Thanks for the advice, I was looking into purchasing a cheap cpu with the same socket to test that but I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.
      I'll try to hold out for a day or so to see if any more of the gurus on this site have some input.
      Thanks again xavier, any help is good help.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 08:21:16 PM »
      What make is the PSU and what is it rated at ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ThanksForHelp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 08:23:33 PM »
        It's an antec and the model number is bp500u.  It's 500watt, the replacement that is.

xavier

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 09:23:56 PM »
        Board or cpu ?

ThanksForHelp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 09:31:40 PM »
          I'll just post my whole system, should've done that in the first place sorry.

500 watt antec PSU
          evga 8800gt
          amd athlon x2 6000+
          Mzn-mx Se plus asus motherboard (that's the second one I tried, the original was a similar one made by EGS and both yielded the same results)
          2gb patriot ram (tested the ram with two sticks of 256mb ram, tried one at a time in each slot then both in either slot.)
          320gb seagate hard drive
          Windows vista, unfortunate, I know.
          Tested on both a 20" lcd monitor and an old 17" beater I found in my attic.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 04:27:52 AM »
            You mite have killed the cpu if you took it out an put it in the other board.  The only way I can think of to test it is to get a cheap one. 
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 08:18:46 AM »
            Did the fella at the shop explain what exactly he fixed ? ?
            Have you tried the onboard video ? ?
            The vid card may be shot...
            Let's hope it's not that.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ThanksForHelp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 08:45:19 AM »
              He didn't say what he fixed, from what I understand I just had something wired wrong because he changed a few and it stopped beeping.  I tried the on board video on both motherboards and still got nothing.  I tried using the 8800, the on board, and a much older geforce mx 4000 for good measure and still got the same problem.
              You mite have killed the CPU if you took it out an put it in the other board.  The only way I can think of to test it is to get a cheap one. 
              I don't think the CPU got fried inbetween because the problem happened before I moved it from the original motherboard.  Maybe I'm wrong though, I do plan to test a new processor to see if having the power supply die injured my CPU.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 10:58:39 AM »
                Its not impossible its the common differnce between the two
                Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                  • Yes
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                « Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 11:01:36 AM »
                Its not impossible its the common differnce between the two
                What's the difference, and between what two?

TFH, can you describe the beeps to us?  Are they long or short, and how many?  Is there a pattern?

ThanksForHelp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »
                  I don't remember the beeps I'm afraid.  I think it was like 5 beeps then repeating ones but that was before a co-worker changed a wire.
                  If I need to I can ask him what the beeps from the BIOS were indicating if he remembers, or ask what he did.

EDIT:OK I called him and he said one of the four pin connectors that was attached the fan in the front also had a less powerful extension that was being used as the supplementary power for the video card.  He said he just moved the supplementary power cord to another 4pin connector that wasn't in use and the problem was solved.

EDIT(again):  Would it be safe to say this isn't a motherboard issue if I've tried two of them and the same thing happens?  I think I'm going to exchange the replacement motherboard for a cheap AMD processor to test out on the original one.  Would this be alright to do or should I buy the procesor and try it in both motherboards and deal with the 15% restocking fee if I need to?
                  « Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 01:42:44 PM by ThanksForHelp »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                    • Yes
                  • Certifications: List
                  • Computer: Specs
                  « Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 02:04:23 PM »
                  Did you say the problems are now solved?
                  It sounds like perhaps your video card wasn't getting enough power, and the beep code would then have indicated a video problem.

ThanksForHelp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 02:25:41 PM »
                    Uhm I meant the beeping problem was solved by rearranging the wires but the main problem of my monitors getting nothing despite swapping out almost everything still persists.  All I really have left is the CPU to test and I'm wondering now if it would be safe to rule out the motherboard as the problem since I've tried the original and one straight from tigerdirect.