Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Just downloaded latest version of IE and it will not display any web sites  (Read 4044 times)

ehabby

Topic Starter

Starter

Hello!

The latest version of IE that I just downloaded about two weeks ago onto my Dell PC desktop will not display any web sites.  Doesn't matter which site I go to.  I get an error stating that the webpage can not be displayed for the following reasons - I may not be connected to the internet, webpage may be experiencing problems, etc.  This happened quite suddenly. 

Called my DSL company (SBC yahoo) and after almost 2 hours they felt confident my internet connection was fine, there were no issues, I was hooked up to the internet, they could detect nothing wrong.  Modem looks fine.  All appropriate lights are on.  Checked all the cables. 

I did that thing where you hit "run" from the start menu and enter in "cmd" then "ipconfig" at the prompt.  When I do this, it just sends me to another blinking prompt.  No IP address info, no error message.  Just another prompt like I didn't enter anything at all. 

Every other software program is working fine.  I've run all my virus and spyware scans and nothing comes up.     

Thanks so much for any help!

Emily :)

stevejohnson1958

Emily,

From your Internet Explorer Toolbar, select Tools and then Internet Options.

Select the Connections tab.

Make sure Never dial a connection is selected...and then click Apply and/or the OK button.

Refresh your browser to see if it's now loading pages.

ehabby

Topic Starter

Starter

Will try when I get home from work.  Thanks!  :)

Trafalgar

Rookie

To check your internet connection, click start, run, "cmd" and click OK, type "ping www.computerhope.com"

If some message return like "Reply from 204.228.150.3: bytes=32 times=100ms TTL=50" then your internet connection IS DEFINITELY FINE. Then you can focus to trouble shoot on your IE7

But if the return message is like "Ping request can not find....." or "Request timed out..." or some similar messages, then your internet connection IS DEFINITELY NOT FINE.

Trafalgar

ehabby

Topic Starter

Starter

After days of troubleshooting, I think my DSL modem might need to be replaced.  I've tried every suggestion there is and various people have suggested that getting a new modem might be the next logical step.  When it arrives, we shall see if that solves the problem. 

nighthawk

Starter

I have the same problem, except my IE7 stopped working and I deleted it and downloaded IE7 again.  So far no solution.

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            Did you try this?  What happened?
            To check your internet connection, click start, run, "cmd" and click OK, type "ping www.computerhope.com"

If some message return like "Reply from 204.228.150.3: bytes=32 times=100ms TTL=50" then your internet connection IS DEFINITELY FINE. Then you can focus to trouble shoot on your IE7

But if the return message is like "Ping request can not find....." or "Request timed out..." or some similar messages, then your internet connection IS DEFINITELY NOT FINE.

Trafalgar