Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: bumping desk makes laptop "come alive"  (Read 3226 times)

jonb

bumping desk makes laptop "come alive"
« on: February 17, 2005, 10:18:42 AM »
My laptop sits on my desk.  It's screen is set to "sleep" after 15min of no use.  However, when I open and shut a drawer, I believe unintentional "bumping" the mouse causes it to "come alive".  Is there a simple key toggle shortcut than will disable/enable the mouse?  Or does anyone make a mouse with a toggle switch that disables it?  I don't want to set mouse speed and accel so slow that it is hard to use.  I have tried setting the mouse upside down, off the desk, etc with limited success.  Disconnecting the ps2 connector works, but too much work.  I use win98se.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: bumping desk makes laptop "come alive&quo
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 12:46:45 PM »
ok.... Are you using an external mouse, or the internal mouse?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

jonb

Re: bumping desk makes laptop "come alive&
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 03:04:49 PM »
ok.... Are you using an external mouse, or the internal mouse?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

External ball-type PS2 LogiTech mouse.  Seems like it would be easy to build-in a microswitch underneath that would open up when you took your hand off of the mouse.  BTW, the "eraser" type built-in mouse on the IBM Thinkpad laptop is even more sensitive to "bumps".

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: bumping desk makes laptop "come alive&quo
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 09:35:29 PM »
Well... Here is my resolution/explanation.... When you shut your cabinet doors on the desk, etc., the mouse is moving becuase the desk is.... Does your desk "wobble" a little when you shut the doors? Your mouse is probably just being moved becuase the desk is shifting...

[glb]Flame[/glb]