Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How much power is needed for a Media center PC?  (Read 5855 times)

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

How much power is needed for a Media center PC?
    « on: June 28, 2008, 07:34:49 PM »
    I am in the getting all the stuff together for a Media center PC. The case I picked out has a 400 watt psu. I think that is to small. I have calculated that I will need 500 watts so I plan to buy a 600 watt psu. Here is what I came up with.

Motherboard              Intel DG33TLM                                                75 
    Processor                   Intel core 2 Quad Q6600                              105
    Memory                      Corsar DDR2 4GB                                            60
    Hard drive                  2 500 GB hard drives                                      60
    Optical drive               Sony                                                               35
    Integrated Video                                                                              15           
    Video card                                                                                       100
    PCI card                       Internet card                                                 15
    PCI E card                    TV card                                                          25
    USB                              Mouse & keyboard                                          5             
    Fans                                                                                                    5

total                                                                                                500

I think I will have to go with the 600 watts. Any thoughts?

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: How much power is needed for a Media center PC?
      « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 07:51:49 PM »
      Thanks for some help.  Ummm I would go with like a 450 or something 600 sounds a little high.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 09:00:20 PM »
        I thought that you always needed to go over what was calculated. Did I make a mistake in what I calculated? If so where? May be I only need 550 watts. I am new at this. I just don't wont to under power the system.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 04:39:49 AM »
        You may as well grab a 600W, that leaves ample room for expansion in future.
        You can never have too much power, just buy a good brand or it'll be worthless.
        I would also never personally go with a PSU included with a case unless it has great reviews, I prefer to pick my own.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 08:46:51 PM »
          I was going to go with Antec case and PSU. I don't know *censored* I thought they made good stuff.  What would you recommend?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 03:57:02 AM »
          Have you got a link to the specific one?
          Antec do make good cases and PSUs actually, if the power is ample I'd go for it.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:34:39 AM »
            I just thought that it would be too much power an possibly overload the system.
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 04:36:26 AM »
            You can never have too much power squall.
            The power supply can supply up to the stated amount in the best case scenario.
            A high power rating means it can supply more power, it doesn't mean it supplies that all the time and overloads components.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 04:46:35 AM »
              I thought it had.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 09:19:57 PM »
                I will go with the 600. Thanks for your time.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 04:42:26 AM »
                  Good choice then, should give you enough power to aid in running other little goodies if you connect them.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 05:57:37 AM »
                  You're more than welcome.
                  If you have any more questions feel free to post back.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 07:07:34 PM »

I have ran into a problem. The case I am going to use, the Antec NSD1380 has only a 350 watt PSU. I thought I could replace it with a 600 watt PSU, no such luck. They don't make one for that unit. I have to use that case because of the space it has to fit in in the travel trailer. The shelf where I have to put it is only 15" deep and the NSD1380 is the only case I cold find that is only 13.2"deep. Most cases are between 15"to17". If I could find a wide short case that wold be great. I thought I could cut back on the watts *censored* I can't get it below the 350 watts. If I replace the CPU with a duel core I will save 40 watts, then only  use 2GB of memory I can save 30 more. Then if I use a smaller video card I am told that I could save as much as 70 watts. That gives me 360 watts on a 350 watt PSU. Do any of you know of a short wide case that has more power? Short of hacking the case up to make the PSU fit I don't know what to do.

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
                      « Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 08:00:26 PM »
                      Won't the 600 watt ps fit?
                      Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »
                      Whose PSU's are you looking at ? ?
                      Have you checked a mini ATX PSU ? ?
                      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "