Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP ME!!  (Read 3361 times)

Anne

HELP ME!!
« on: April 22, 2004, 08:46:56 AM »
I am having a lot of trouble with my laptop lately. I have an IBM Thinkpad with Windows 1998. I keep getting messages that I am missing two files when I startup my computer. It says I am missing: SHLDDRV.VXD and System.INI File

Can anyone help me??? I am a poor college student so it has to be a free solution.  :)

Joleen

Re: HELP ME!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 08:49:03 AM »
I hope you have your W98 Installation disk handy.  I think you'll have to reinstall the Operating System.  Happy trails.

SKy

Re: HELP ME!!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 08:15:48 AM »
Hi Anne,

Sounds like u have corrupted system files.

Can ur PC be started? Can go into safe mode? If can start into windows, I think u should try to use win98's 'System File Checker' (sfc.exe). It's a program that checks system files and help u to repair.

I copy the following in bold from Microsoft's website (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;185836) that explains about sfc.exe

System File Checker checks for damaged or replaced system files, and then prompts you to replace any files that do not match the original Windows 98 files.

To start System File Checker, follow these steps:
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools menu.
Click one of the following options:
Scan For Altered Files
Extract One File From Installation Disk

NOTE: If you click Extract One File From Installation Disk, you can specify the file you want to extract.

Click Settings, choose the configuration you want to use in System File Checker Settings, click OK, and then click Start.

U should have your windows CD ready.