Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Numerous Laptop Battery issues  (Read 6886 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Numerous Laptop Battery issues
« on: February 18, 2005, 01:25:55 PM »
Short version:
    Main battery isn't charging. What is the problem, and how to fix?

Long Version:
Dell SmartStep 250N Long out of warranty
  • Orange power light - always on, whether or not I am using battery power
  • "AC Power" icon ALWAYS in system tray, "Battery Power" icon NEVER in system tray, even when on battery power
  • "Power Options" in Control Panel indicates battery "Not Present" EVEN WHEN ON BATTERY POWER
  • Computer will not power on from battery, even when fully charged. Once power is on, computer WILL run on battery power.
  • Dell emailed me a new BIOS update, but it will NOT install because it thinks I need to install a battery - even though my battery is indeed fully charged.

--update:
  • It appears that the battery is not charging AT ALL.

The current BIOS - v. A04 - does not indicate whether or not there even IS a battery or power supply.

I ran the driver diagnostics.

The following is the output from the SMBIOS diagnostic test:

SMBIOS - Battery Information                               :
Device Number                    : 1
Device Name                      :          
Location                         : On the Right-hand side
Manufacturer                     :          
Manufacture Date                 :          
Serial Number                    :          
SBDS Version Number              :          
Device Chemistry                 : Lithium-ion
Design Capacity                  : Unknown
Design Voltage                   : Unknown
Maximum Error in Battery Data    : 255 percent
SMBIOS - Battery Information                               : Pass

Bottom Line
Is it the mother board?
The battery?
Something else?
How much $ will I need to fix it?
Can I do the repair myself? (I'm fairly handy, but not with a soldering iron)

THANKS!!!!!!!!!![/i]
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Numerous Laptop Battery issues
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 01:53:22 PM »
    rjbinney.....Well , it sounds like your laptop has been around for a while .....So how old is the battery that your currently using ( battery life is approx 500 charge /discharge cycles or about 1.5 to 2 years )  That's using the Lithium type battery. It's also possible that the charging system is at fault .....
    I assume that the laptop works ok as long as the aux power adapter is connected ......So the first thing I would try is replace the main battery.  

Let us know

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 01:53:49 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 02:07:06 PM »
    It's exactly 24 months old, but rarely runs on battery power... Maybe - maybe 100 discharges?

I hate to drop the $ on a new battery and have that NOT be it... Is there a reason why it would TOTALLY stop charging, but hold a charge?

That is, I have been able to pull the plug and test it a few times this week, and the battery has had juice. Now, it won't run on battery at all.

Or am I just confusing the issue? Lord knows I can do that well enough...
    « Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 02:07:46 PM by rjbinney »
    Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 02:28:18 PM »
      rjbinney.......
      "That is, I have been able to pull the plug and test it a few times this week, and the battery has had juice. Now, it won't run on battery at all. "
      So the situation is now that the only way the laptop will work is with the power adapter plugged in ...is that correct ?  Has the battery gone dead or is it still partially charged ?  So it seems we have gone around in a big circle ........if the battery is still patially charged ...then the problem is in the laptop......... Because you say that it still works with the power adapter ( we can eliminate that as a problem ) So that only leaves .......the battery itself  or the laptop .

Is it possible to try a new battery in the unit and see if it works with a new battery.......If it does , then your battery may be toast .........( it may be at the end of its life cycle )

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 02:34:41 PM »
      Right, it is kind of in circles.

At first, it APPEARED that I was always on AC - even when I wasn't. (That is, the AC icon, LED, etc. all stayed the same).

Now, the battery seems to be toast - or it won't switch over to battery power. I don't know which.

The thing that seemed most odd was, even when the battery HAD plenty of power, it still showed "Battery Not Present" on Control Panel (Power Options). Even when it was running on battery. That makes me suspect that the computer hasn't been charging the battery, and each time I have been pulling the cord to "test", I have been draining it a little more, until now I am past the point of no return.

Does that make sense?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 04:09:26 PM »
        rjbinney.....You make sense ok ........but what you now have to do......is have the charging circuit checked and then you will probably have to buy a new battery .........In other words take your laptop in to a service shop that is competent to repair laptops .........

dl65 ::)

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 04:22:40 PM »
        It's the battery.  Mine does the same thing.  Remove battery and note status lights located on battery, when test button is depressed.  If it says full, it will run until discharged and then won't charge.  After many weeks it will eventually charge.

If computer runs when battery is removed, charging circuit is okay.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 04:39:57 PM »
         Remove battery and note status lights located on battery, when test button is depressed.

Dude, this is a Dell.

It isn't that fancy - no lights on the battery, no test button.

What does anyone think the price would be to get the charger fixed? Is that a spare part I can buy and swap out myself?

Why did Dell tell me it's the mobo? To get me off the mofo phone?

Thanks for all of your help. Most cool.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 05:14:26 PM »
          ......You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink........LOL

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 05:18:57 PM »
          So anyone know any good repair shops - rather, "competent" shops - in Philadelphia?

Or, does anyone know Michael Dell's e-mail address?

Kevin Compo

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 09:44:13 AM »
          Had the same problem with  a Inspiron 5150. It was the Mother board( ALL 3 TIMES) It was under warranty. They replaced with a 5160. Have not had the problem since. After, I thought it may have been the Power adapter causing???  Acted flaky . Was never able to investigate

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 12:58:16 PM »
          The only reason why I'm skeptical of it being a battery-only problem is that, for instance, when I hover my mouse over the ACPower icon in the system tray, it just reads "On AC Power". It used to also read "Charging", and I believe a readout of how charged the battery is (i.e., '36%').

So, I have a hunch that there's more to it than a simple battery.

I had resigned to live with the problem, but now that the battery is totally drained, you can't move the computer from room to room - or to the office - whilst it's on standby. So you have to reboot ALL THE TIME. Which, we all know, is ssoooooooo sssssssslllllllooooooowwwwwwww...

(Come to think of it, is this something that could have come loose while the machine was going to/from work? Or is it way more technical than that?)

Thanks again for all help and advice. If only Dell was half as helpful.

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 05:26:07 PM »
          Not sure if this applies but dell has bening having an issue with laptops batterys lately....check out their website?

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 10:24:26 AM »
          "Of course I've tried soapy water!!!!!"

Yes, I have spent hours on their website. This machine is 25 months old. To me, that seems pretty new. After all, it was $2K+... Should get a few more miles out of a personal investment like that, I would think!

It's funny, when I (or my staff) calls Dell with a problem, we get someone who is cheery and helpful and easy to understand... Of course, I buy about a dozen PC's a year for work, plus flatscreens and servers and such... But when I call about my HOME machine (even though it shipped to work, it's considered a "Home computer"), I get put on queue, and get a snarky tech-rep who is very difficult to speak to - I am certain it's an overseas call center. (Don't care who/where it is, I just like to be able to understand without asking him to repeat himself three or four times).

I have e-mailed Dell for instructions to send the machine in. I was promised a response in 6-12 hours. That was three days ago.

So, if I start searching for a local repair shop, is there anything I should look for/look OUT for?

Thanks,

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 10:32:37 AM »
          FINALLY heard back from Dell... $269 for "Diagnostics", $699 if they have to replace the mobo.

I am not a super-tech guy (obviously). So, in all honesty, is it reasonable for a $2K machine to need $1K of repairs 25 months after it went into service?

I suppose that should be the topic for another forum, but I'd love an answer from a computer pro - am I being unreasonable to think this is ridiculous?

Thanks.

(I am trying so hard to stay calm over this...)