Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows VISTA and Cisco Client VPN Error 56: The Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service  (Read 23470 times)

berlincityauto

Topic Starter

Starter

We have a couple of machines that were running Cisco VPN Client (5.0.01.06) and worked, but suddenly do not.  On one machine we are getting Error 56: The Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service has not been started).  I have tried several suggestions that I found online and none seemed to resolve the issue.  I uninstalled the program and removed all registry keys and still no success.  Others online reported having the same issue because of firewalls and anti-virus programs, but I removed all of those also (just to test).  When  manually start ing  the VPN process, it starts, but within 30 seconds, stops automatically.   I have tried rolling the registry back, but it doesn't go back before the initial install of the client.  I have run spyware programs and anti-virus to make sure the machine is fine.  It is only a few months old.

The second machine that was working with the VPN client and now isn't is a laptop, but his error is: Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the client. Reason 442: failed to enable Virtual Adapter.  Cisco suggested adding a registry key (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f) which didn't work.  I also tried Enabling the virtual adapter - repair - and disabling it again (along with complete uninstalls and reinstalls).  I found and downloaded the latest version of the Cisco Client Version 5.0.02.0090.  This didn't clear the error.  This is a Gateway laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit.   

amishoza

We have a couple of machines that were running Cisco VPN Client (5.0.01.06) and worked, but suddenly do not.  On one machine we are getting Error 56: The Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service has not been started).  I have tried several suggestions that I found online and none seemed to resolve the issue.  I uninstalled the program and removed all registry keys and still no success.  Others online reported having the same issue because of firewalls and anti-virus programs, but I removed all of those also (just to test).  When  manually start ing  the VPN process, it starts, but within 30 seconds, stops automatically.   I have tried rolling the registry back, but it doesn't go back before the initial install of the client.  I have run spyware programs and anti-virus to make sure the machine is fine.  It is only a few months old.

The second machine that was working with the VPN client and now isn't is a laptop, but his error is: Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the client. Reason 442: failed to enable Virtual Adapter.  Cisco suggested adding a registry key (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f) which didn't work.  I also tried Enabling the virtual adapter - repair - and disabling it again (along with complete uninstalls and reinstalls).  I found and downloaded the latest version of the Cisco Client Version 5.0.02.0090.  This didn't clear the error.  This is a Gateway laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit.   

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    wow... this topic has over 1800 views, and 1 reply that simply quotes the original post.

odd.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Doug Vitale

Beginner

• Was that so hard?
      • Doug Vitale Tech Blog
    • Experience: Expert
    Berlin, did you resolve these VPN errors? If so, how did you do it?

If not, did you try disabling the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?

The second problem you described seems to require a more complex solution. Have a look:

http://john.bryntze.net/jbkb/index.php?title=Vista-kb18_Cisco_VPN_%22Reason_442:_Failed_to_enable_Virtual_Adapter%22