Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC not starting.  (Read 2171 times)

Drakeskull

Topic Starter

Starter

PC not starting.
    « on: July 15, 2008, 10:27:30 AM »
    I have posted in another forum on a different site, but haven't got to much of a responce.

Ok so my gf decided to go ahead, and install my new case fans while I was at work today without asking me. She trys to start it up, and right after it was testing the drives it couldn't read the keyboard which is a usb keyboard, everynow, and then when it gets shut off hard like if the power goes out it would have that error. I would turn off the power supply unplug the keyboard and plug it back in and it would then work. I told her to do this she did. But its not really starting up at all now. Hit the power button, and the only screen that comes up is the Asus motherboard screen, and it just stays there. You think she might have shocked something, and ruined a peice of hardware? Any help on helping me trouble shoot this problem I would be much thankful for.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
      • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: PC not starting.
    « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:41:46 AM »
    Hello! Welcome to CH!
    Please read thisfirst.
    Please post back! ;D
    "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
    --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

Drakeskull

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:52:44 AM »
      Oops lol I forgot I always had it as a tag on other Forums.
      Its xp sp2.
      CPU=amd 3000+ 400fsb barton
      VIDEO=X800 pro
      SOUND=SB Audigy2 zs plat
      MEMORY=1024 Corsair xms pc3200
      HD=120gig seagate 7200rpm

Drakeskull

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 11:10:08 AM »
        Cliffs

-GF installs new case fans.
        -At first wouldn't detect the usb keyboard at the Cmos, which is a error I have received before.
        -Told her to unplug it, and plug it back in.
        -After it just starts up all fans working, but just freezes on the Asus screen, does not go any further to the Cmos or to where I can even enter the Bios.

Troubleshooting already done
        -Reset jumpers on the motherboard
        -Tested all connections
        -Unplugged the new case fans.

Troubleshooting that I haven't tried
        -Removing one stick of ram at a time.
        -Getting ahold a new PSU, to try it out.

I'm afraid that if its the CPU or Mobo that Im going to have to be able to find a replacement, because its so old.  Then I would be looking replacing ALOT of hardware.

Drakeskull

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:49:38 AM »
          My GFs dad seems to think it might be the CMOS battery gone bad, but I have a friend that says if the battery went out it would still start up it just wouldn't be able to save the CMOS settings.  I haven't been home to try out the ram either, could it stop it starting up any further then where it stops at?

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
            • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 10:53:10 AM »
          Yeah, it could stop the starting up process. Have you heard beep codes whenever you turn on your computer?
          "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
          --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano