Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Imaging Vista Machine with Imagex [SOLVED]  (Read 4208 times)

Sid

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Experience: Experienced
    Imaging Vista Machine with Imagex [SOLVED]
    « on: July 16, 2008, 05:58:25 AM »
    Hi Guys!

First things first, I passed my A+ Tech exam, and got a new job, Woot!

Right, now that's out of the way...

I'm having some problems trying to Image a Vista machine.

What I'm trying to do is use Imagex.exe to create an image of this Vista install, so we can roll it out onto other machines with incredible ease.

The problem is:

When imagex is doing it's thing it gets to 49% complete (which takes about an hour (I'll list the machine specs below)) and then says
    "Error imaging drive [c:\]
    The system cannot find the path specified"

I'm running imagex in the command line of VistaPE on the Vista DVD, on a machine that sysprep has been run on.

The machine is a Dell Dimension E520 with 2GB RAM, Celeron D and has a fresh install of Vista Business, Office Enterprise 07, Visual Studio 08, SQL Management tools, paint.net, cutePDF, .NET frameworks 1.1, 2, 3.0 & 3.5, Office Project Manager, Office Visio, and a few other small apps.

All in all, the usage is about 40GBs on the 150GB hdd, and I'm trying to image it onto an USB external hdd that is 280GB.

I've run it a few times, with the same errors and have t/s'd as follows:

Replaced the external hdd with an empty one (as we thought it could have been a space issue)
    Tried different USB ports
    Swapped cables

Up until now I've just been running it as:

"imagex /capture c: i:\devvista.wim "Dev Vista Image"

I'm currently running it with the "/compress maximum" flag (before /capture) to see if it might be a problem with file sizes.

I was just wondering if anyone could help...maybe provide some insight, or maybe a new direction to tackle this one.

I've googled hard and good, but it doesn't seem like too many people are publishing any issues with imagex or WIM's in regards to creating an image.

Any help is always appreciated.

Cheers,

Sid
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:02:57 AM by Sid »

Sid

Topic Starter

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Imaging Vista Machine with Imagex
      « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:02:33 AM »
      It would appear that imagex has a size limit.

I was being an idiot, and I hadn't formatted the old XP install (that had lots of rubbish on it) prior to installing Vista, so imagex was trying to capture near enough 50GB!!! I've since removed all the old XP stuff, and got it down to a slim 22GB with all the software I want installed, and at this very momment of writing it resides next to me at a fabulous 66%!!! Woot!

Sorry to trouble you guys, but now we're all aware of a potential problem in that imagex seems to bawk at around 25+GB MAX.

It's now at 72%...woot!!!2