Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How Do I Delete a Restore Partition?  (Read 6439 times)

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

How Do I Delete a Restore Partition?
    « on: July 18, 2008, 01:02:43 PM »
    I just replaced an old 80 gb HD with a new 320 HD.  Both are IDE.  Since the old drive still works, I thought I would reformat it and keep it as a spare temporary hard drive.  However, the disk has a restore partition (HP) and I can't get access to any method of deleting the restore partition.  Anyone have a suggestion on this?

Also, the old drive was replaced due to intermittent disk errors (FAT had to be continually rechecked, and it finally wouldn't boot).  Even though I was able to access the drive as a slave when the new master was installed, after deleting the old primary partition, and reformatting (NTFS), the reformat gets to 90% and hangs.  While I'm not particularly knowledgeable about these things, that seems to me the likely cause of the drive failure in the first place.  However, when I do a quick format (NTFS), no problems are presented.  Perhaps some of you have thoughts about this also.
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:24:13 PM by veritasffg »
    Adaequatio Rei et Intellectus

Crafty

Re: How Do I Delete a Restore Partition?
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:46:06 PM »
    If the hard drive has bad sectors and is wearing, then I would get shut of it.

On another note, I'm sure I got around a restore partition, by using a program that returns the whole drive to zeros. I just cannot think how I did it though.
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 07:23:17 PM by Crafty »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 06:55:52 AM »
    Darik's Nuke and Boot will do this...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 07:10:41 AM »
      Thanks, Patio.  I had not heard of DBAN previously.  Other readers of this forum may be interested to know that Acronis True Image Home, Acronis Disk Director, and Acronis Disk Cleanser will also remove hidden partitions.  I have True Image Home 11, and used it to successfully delete the hidden recovery partition.

Thanks again.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 08:26:38 AM »
      Acronis is high on my list of must have software....

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 09:33:29 AM »
      strange- I've always deleted a restore partition with Windows XP setup before reinstalling the OS. (when I first get the computer)
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 10:22:21 AM »
        For BC_Programmer:  I have no doubt that certain restore partitions may be deleted with XP - it depends (at least in part) upon whether the boot.ini file contains a setting which effectively hides the restore partition from XP (I know this much), and there may be other such related settings about which I'm unaware.  All that aside, however, as shown in the postings above, there are any number of ways to see hidden partitions and/or delete them.

For Patio:  I have two copies of Acronis True Image Home 11, and I'm really impressed.  Before I bought the 2d copy, I ran a full image restore to a new IDE drive, from an image taken from a SATA system drive for the same machine.  It was almost magical - the biggest hassle was swapping out the old and new drives.  The operating system (XP Home) and all the applications installed on the machine operated as though nothing had happened.  As of a week ago, you could Google Acronis True Image Home Version 11, and find a link to download the software for $39.99 - I believe it's well worth that and more.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »
        I image every Sunday Night...
        Once a month i burn the latest image to DVD and delete the other 3.
        Worst case scenario i am 3 weeks back to a fully working machine in less than 20 minutes....works for me !

As to being able to delete a Recovery Partition with an XP CD it cannot always be done that way depending on who manufactured the machine...

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 11:45:52 AM »
          With Acronis, I make a full image to begin with, then do daily scheduled "differential" backups, using either an internal or external hard drives.  The advantage of the differential backups is that your image is always current as of any date you want to select; and the differential backups of course are only a fraction of the size of the full image base backup.  Anyways, as you know I'm not an expert on anything except ignorance, but the Acronis software really makes me feel better about a lot of things, proving, I suppose, that ignorance really can be bliss.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 10:58:01 PM »
          hmmm- so when you boot to the XP CD and choose to do a clean install, it still reads the boot.ini file from the HD to see if it should hide certain partitions? Or are we just talking about disk management?

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 04:32:56 AM »
            No - the partition was hidden from the disk management utility.  Frankly, I never booted from the XP CD in this case, because there was no XP CD for that computer.   It was an HP, shipped with a restore partition, and restore disks only.  The original system disk had bad sectors, which apparently caused it to fail.  I installed a new system disk, restored the system using the restoration disks, and connected the old disk as a slave in order to retrieve such data as the PC owner wanted.  Prior to removing the old hard drive and discarding it, I wanted to reformat it for privacy reasons (I also considered using it as a temporary hard drive when needed), and ran into the hidden partition problem.  Then, mainly out of curiosity, I became interested in how to get rid of it, and the rest, as they say, is history.
            « Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:50:54 AM by veritasffg »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 11:59:01 AM »
            Ahh, tyhat explains why I've never encountered the problem! Any Manufacturers PC I buy I always Reinstall a fresh copy of XP from my CD, and during setup I remove the partitions and create a new one that takes the whole space. This is probably why I've never heard of hidden partitions, since I've never actually used a computer that had one. (the recovery partition I think is more harmful then good, really a fresh install of XP would do the same thing, but without the settings that they want you to use.)

mcxeb52!

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 12:12:18 PM »
            I have a compaq desktop with a hidden partition (for recovery purposes). I just popped the windows CD in, erased all partitions and got a new windows installation on.

Having a recovery partition is good when windows cd is misplaced or you don't have windows cd and don't mind that you are essentially reinstalling windows from scratch, albeit with computer manufacturer's settings attached.

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 12:18:59 PM »
              On balance, I guess I agree more with BC_Programmer.  I don't have a lot of regard for restore partitions, and I resent the fact that so many box makers force them on us, and neglect what I regard is an obligation to furnish a Windows reinstallation disk (we pay for the operating system - why shouldn't we have the means to carry out either a restore operation, or a clean install?)  But then I just like clean installs, for many reasons, but mainly because I like to choose which applications and utilities I want to install.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 12:42:24 PM »
              On balance, I guess I agree more with BC_Programmer.  I don't have a lot of regard for restore partitions, and I resent the fact that so many box makers force them on us, and neglect what I regard is an obligation to furnish a Windows reinstallation disk (we pay for the operating system - why shouldn't we have the means to carry out either a restore operation, or a clean install?)  But then I just like clean installs, for many reasons, but mainly because I like to choose which applications and utilities I want to install.

Exactly- the whole neglecting to supply the OS CD/DVD is actually getting worse. My stepdad got a computer for my brother, and I told them to ask for the Windows DVD (vista). and they did- but they said "that is was on the hard drive, you won't need it"... completely beside the point. So I guess if the HD crashes they just buy a new one?