Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows98 defrag  (Read 3768 times)

jjimmymc55

windows98 defrag
« on: April 12, 2004, 06:38:23 PM »
 ??? everytime i try to defrag or do maint. on my computer it locks up and willnot let me perform any thing. i have to turn it off and reboot to get it unlocked. i am computer dumb so please tell me what i can do to do my main.  it is running very slow and takes forever to load .. thanks

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: windows98 defrag
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 10:01:33 PM »
Its possible that defrag and/or scandisk will lockup during use because other programs are running in the background. We recommend you try running defrag and scandisk from safe mode. Additional information about how to get into safe mode can be found on the below document.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Additionally regarding your computer running slow you may also want to run the basic troubleshooting steps on the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/basic.htm
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

sierradad

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 07:36:51 AM »
The Administrator's answer is exactly right....run defrag in safe mode. I would suggest one other thing, too. Do a good disk cleanup first (empty Temp, Temp Internet Files, Recycle, and whatever else you don't need. Also uninstall any programs you don't use any more (Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, then highlight the unused program, then click remove). I even go so far as to empty the Recent folder (My Computer>Maindisk c:>Windows>Recent). The more you get rid of, the faster it will be when you finally do run defrag.

Anyway....just a thought. Best....Larry

tinmanjohnny

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 04:14:50 PM »
While you are at it, go to C, Windows, find the Applog file,open it and delete all files in it,then delete the Applog file. Causes 98 problems with Scandisk and Defrag freezes and loops.

voodoo6869

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 12:34:06 AM »
you can also try holding ctrl, alt and delete and end tasking all but explorer and systray. this stops most background programs from running. i had that problem with 98se until i was told to do that. :)