Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where are the printer settings saved  (Read 3981 times)

pman

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Where are the printer settings saved
    « on: July 23, 2008, 07:51:05 PM »
    Hi, I'm trying to find out where the printer settings/preferences(not properties) being saved in windows. I understand that each printer's settings or preferences depends on it's driver, but it must be saving those settings somewhere.

What I'm planning to do is to create a script that can add a printer from print server on a remote computer and also change a specific preference. I've checked the wmi/win32_printer documentation on microsoft site, but they only provide info on printer properties.

If you could point me to right direction, that would be great. Thanks.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Where are the printer settings saved
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:53:19 PM »
    If I understand your question, I think the answer is that the settings are stored in whatever application(s) you use.  IOW, if you use Word, your printing preferences are saved in Word for printing Word files, and likewise for Excel, etc.

pman

Topic Starter

Rookie
      Re: Where are the printer settings saved
      « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 05:36:01 AM »
      Hi Soybean,

Thanks for your reply. The printer settings are not saved in the application.

If you go to "Start->Printer and Faxes" and select your printer. Right click on it and click on the "Preference" option, a window with various different settings or preference will come up. Let's say you always want to print both side of the paper and you set that option in that window. Now, your default printer settings will be printing on both side of the paper, no matter which application you use. Let me know if you need more clarification. Thanks.