Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Invalid Configuration Info. - Floppy Diskette Seek Failure  (Read 4826 times)

IceFire

Topic Starter

Invalid Configuration Info. - Floppy Diskette Seek Failure
    « on: July 27, 2008, 10:32:39 PM »
    I have Windows XP SP2 and it is suddenly not booting up. I get a message that says Invalid Configuration Information, Please Run Setup Program, Floppy Diskette Seek Failure, Performing IDE Configuration, Strike F1 to continue and F2 to run Setup Utility. When I press F1 to continue, Windows loads and all is fine. I have a Dell computer model E310, which doesn't have a floppy disk drive. The computer is two years old and did not come with an installation disk. How can I eliminate this message and get Windows to load normally?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Invalid Configuration Info. - Floppy Diskette Seek Failure
    « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »
    It sounds like, in your BIOS configuration, the Floppy drive has been enabled, despite the fact that there is no floppy present.

This could be due to a USB floppy drive having been used (sometimes BIOS will allow boot by USB devices, including USB floppy drives).
    Are you a USB floppy?

You can enter your BIOS, and check the Boot Order, and make sure that the Floppy Drive is either disabled, or the last thing on the list to boot. If there is an area in the BIOS to disable the floppy, I would recommend doing that as well.

In Windows XP, when you go to "My Computer", does the floppy drive appear there as well?

IceFire

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 11:17:25 AM »
      A USB floppy drive has never been used on my computer. Please tell me how to access the BIOS on my Dell computer E310 (Windows XP SP2)and how to check the boot order and disable the floppy drive permanently, step by step. I don't know anything about doing this. Thanks so much for your help.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:35:43 PM »
      Unfortunately, I dont have the same kind of computer you have, and I dont understand how your BIOS work, but, it shouldent be too difficult.

Usually, with Dell, you want to press the F2 key when your computer starts up (right at the screen that displays the "DELL" logo/image)

From there, you will want to look for a boot order setup. The best option would be to move the Floppy drive to the very end if its there.

Once you have done that, go ahead and exit saving all changes. Does the error still occur?