Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 Licensing  (Read 4416 times)

Les Miller

Windows 98 Licensing
« on: March 02, 2005, 10:58:26 PM »
I have an OEM copy of W98 SE and would like to buy a CHEAP license to install the same on another computer.  Can I buy a W98 standard edition license and use that number with my W98SE OEM disk or will it not accept a standard edition license number?  Thanks for the help.

wrwss

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    Re: Windows 98 Licensing
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 11:19:30 PM »
    Call microsoft.They dont really support 98 anymore.You can actually install 98 on another machine and use it.I would,nt worry about the licensing
    WRWSS

Les Miller

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 12:35:12 PM »
    Thank you very much for responding.  If there are no copyrights in effect I would love to use what I have without purchasing another license, but I"m a consciencious one and want to be legal.  Do you or others know if it would be legal?

If it's not legal to use the license I own, I'm just looking for assurance that the OEM Second edition copy I have will accept a standard edition licence that I can buy for $27.  Thanks again for the help.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 01:01:15 PM »
      Les Miller......you have a legit cd with Win 98 SE OEM on it and a product key for that disk .....right ...... Then install it on the machine .......

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Les Miller

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 01:16:48 PM »
      Thanks for responding again and so quickly!  Yes I have a legit W98SE OEM copy, but the license for it is in use on another computer that will continue to be used simultaneously with the other system I'm building.  That's why I assume that to be legal I need another licence.  I was just unsure if a Second edition disk would accept the standard edition licence I figured I would buy.