Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shut down not working on new laptop  (Read 3717 times)

frogfeld

Topic Starter

Shut down not working on new laptop
    « on: August 18, 2008, 01:28:04 AM »
    I have a new MSI notebook with windows Vista.  When using the shutdown option I find the computer only goes into sleep  mode and never shuts down properly thus slowly draining the battery.  How do I get the shut down to actually shut down?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced

stevejohnson1958

Re: Shut down not working on new laptop
    « Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 05:01:44 PM »
    When shutting down the computer...make sure it shuts down completely before closing it.

Some laptops will go into hibernation/sleep mode if you simply close them.

Bromide

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 05:37:51 PM »
      Vista now recommends that people use sleep mode instead of shutdown on a daily basis, so Sleep is the default function for the Power button on the Start menu.

If you prefer to shutdown or hibernate you can change the default function by going to Control Panel> Power Options> Advanced Settings and look for the Power button options.

Or you can simply select the little Arrowhead icon to the right of the Power button and select among several shutdown/logoff options.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:51:03 PM »
      Vista now recommends that people use sleep mode instead of shutdown on a daily basis
      Source, please.

frogfeld

Topic Starter

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 06:11:23 PM »
        Hi.  Thanks.  I have tried to adjust the options through advanced settings but this has made no difference.  Apparently Vista shuts down after a certain amount of time in sleep mode.  This doesnt happen either, it just stays in sleep mode.  I have also used the shut down option in the arrowhead icon and that too enters sleep mode

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 07:26:21 PM »
        « Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:47:50 AM by Saviour »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 08:38:04 PM »
        Vista now recommends that people use sleep mode instead of shutdown on a daily basis
        Source, please.
        I'll second this one...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Bromide

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 03:36:01 PM »

Broni & Patio:

My comment refers to information in Vista Help and Support, under the topics “Turn off a computer: frequently asked questions” and “Turning off your computer properly”.  [Ref: Saviour, reply #6]

Perhaps I should have said that Vista ‘suggests’ rather than ‘recommends’ the use of sleep mode. In any case, These Help topics and others contain useful information about the different power states available.
          The quotes below are from the FAQs.

If I'm not planning to use my computer for several hours, should I turn it off?
          No. You should put your computer to sleep, either by clicking the Power button on the Start menu or by pressing the sleep button on your keyboard or mobile PC. If you have a mobile PC, closing the lid can also put the computer to sleep. When you're ready to use your computer again, it will wake quickly so that you can resume working where you left off.”

Won't sleep eventually drain my mobile PC battery?
          No. When your mobile PC is running on battery power, the battery drains slightly as the computer sleeps, but it uses an extremely small amount of power. After your computer sleeps for an extended period of time, Windows saves any open documents and programs to your hard disk, including information about the programs that you were using, and then shuts down your computer.”

When should I shut down my computer?
          Shut down your computer only when you need to install or repair hardware, such as installing a new hard disk or video card, or adding memory (RAM).

•   Shut down your computer when you need to do one of the following:
          •   Repair the hardware.
          •   Install a new hard disk or video card.
          •   Add memory.
          •   When installing hardware or adding memory, always follow the manufacturer's instructions.

You should also shut down your computer if you don't want it to wake to run a scheduled task or when you don’t plan to use the computer for several days.”

Frogfeld:

I don’t know how to fix Vista’s power settings controls if they don’t function correctly. As I understand Shutdown after Sleep, it only happens when your battery get too low, rather than after a set time. Is this how you tested it?
          Will your computer hibernate? Hibernate is a completely ‘power-off’ condition, so you can use it indefinitely. A lot of people consider hibernation unreliable, but I’ve never had trouble using it. But that still doesn’t solve your basic problem.
          You say your machine is new. Can you call the manufacturer for warranty help?

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »
          Interesting....where is any link to the above info?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 08:07:36 PM »
          It's from
          Frogfeld:
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "