Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Offline Address book problem with Outlook 2003 on Windows XP  (Read 9203 times)

Baffled

Topic Starter

Beginner

Offline Address book problem with Outlook 2003 on Windows XP
    « on: August 29, 2008, 09:28:41 AM »
    I loaded Outlook 2003 on two PCs here at work. I set up outlook for a domain account and pressed the send/receive button. I got the following message "Microsoft Exchange offline address book 0x8004010F". in the Sync Issues folder.

Our company does not use the offline address book facility and so, I need to stop the XP machine from trying to use it.

It seems that whatever domain account I set up outlook for on that PC, I get the same problem. But, if I set up outlook on another PC for the same domain, I don't get the problem.

Is there a system setting that I've accidentally set on this PC?

I have unloaded and reloaded Outlook but that did not solve the problem.

I tried unchecking the "Download offline address book" box on the "Send/Receive  Settings - All Accounts" page but that does not seem to help.

Can anybody throw a huge amount of light on this one please?
     :'(

Baffled

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Offline Address book problem with Outlook 2003 on Windows XP
      « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 09:36:53 AM »
      I forgot to say that only one of the two PCs is having this problem. Both PC's are identical and the other one works fine. ???

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 01:42:01 PM »
      I don't know that I can help but your posts bring up some questions, some points that seem to need clarification.

I set up outlook for a domain account ...
      Do you mean set up an email account?  Exactly what do you mean by "domain account"?

... the Sync Issues folder
      And, where is that folder? 

Our company does not use the offline address book facility
      Are you saying your address book is online, i.e. out on the Internet?  Are you using Outlook in connection with an Exchange server?

I tried unchecking the "Download offline address book" box on the "Send/Receive  Settings - All Accounts" page
      Exactly where is that?

Baffled

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:00:39 AM »
        I set up an account on an XP machine. The account was a domain account (i.e. it was not a local user account).

When I tried to do a send/receive, I got the following synchronization log:

16:40:56 Synchronizer Version 11.0.5604
        16:40:56 Synchronizing Mailbox 'Fred Bloggs'
        16:40:56 Done
        16:40:56 Microsoft Exchange offline address book
        16:40:56    0X8004010F

In outlook 2003 select "go/folder list" to find the "Sync Issues" folder.

We connect to an Exchange Server. The Address book, I assume, resides there. I am told that we do not use offline address books.

To get to the "Download offline address book" check box go to "Tools/send/receive/send/receive settings/Define send/receive Groups" then highlight "All Accounts" and click "Edit". The checkbox is under "Account Items".

If I uncheck it, outlook still seems to want to synchronise the address book. I don't need this. In fact, it's a total pain in the neck to not be able to switch it off.

I have tried to remove all of Microsoft Office and to re load it. This does not seem to make any difference.

Has anyone any idea how to switch the synchronization of the offline address book off?

Thanks >:(

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:13:57 AM »
        I haven't used Outlook in an Exchange server environment, so I can't give you an actual solution.  Stay tuned to this channel for awhile; someone else may have a suggestion.

If you're willing to so some research, here's the results of a Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=disable+address+book+synchronization+in+Outlook+2003&aq=f&oq=