Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop screen black on start up after crashing  (Read 3215 times)

acreativename

Topic Starter

laptop screen black on start up after crashing
    « on: September 04, 2008, 05:26:07 AM »
    Yesterday, I purchased a Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4830 laptop.  I loaded my previous computer's files onto it, and then wanted to see how Half Life 2 would look on it.  After playing for about 30 minutes (it worked fine, looked awesome, no lag at all, etc.), my screen randomly turned into a small checkerboard pattern of red, green and other colored squares, the sound stopped and nothing worked.  I turned it off and on again, and now on start up, the power button and buttons at the top light up but the screen stays black.  Tried letting it cool down for a while (put it next to the air conditioner for a minute), took the battery/ power cord out and put them back in... but nothing.

What in the world happened and how can I fix it?   I'm going to return it to Best Buy today and, because of this, have decided to get a better laptop instead (the Toshiba A305-S6858).  However, I'd like to fix it before then if possible so I can remove my files, etc, because I used my brother's Steam account to set up Half Life and don't want to risk his account being hacked, lol.

Specs:
    -Windows Vista Home Premium Edition OS, 64-bit
    -AMD Turion X2 Ultra dual-core processor ZM-80 at 2.1GHz
    -4GB of DDR2 memory
    -250GB hard drive
    -integrated ATI RADEON 3100 graphics

Any help is greatly appreciated!!  Thanks!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: laptop screen black on start up after crashing
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 05:29:35 AM »
    If I were in your shoes, I would just hand it over to Best Buy (seeing as you just bought it and it crashed on you).
    Personally, I wouldn't try to recover data if the computer cannot boot anymore. (it might void your warranty)

acreativename

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 05:32:57 AM »
      Ah, alrighty, thanks for the warning about the warranty issue.  I'll just have my brother change the password for his Steam account, then.  Thanks very much for the quick response!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 05:36:29 AM »
      No problem. Good Luck!