Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: loading personal settings on Win XP  (Read 3644 times)

karen

loading personal settings on Win XP
« on: April 24, 2004, 06:48:40 PM »
It takes a full minute and a half to load my personal settings.  Does anyone know why?  I've tried removing anything from loading when logging on but that didn't help at all.

merlin

Re: loading personal settings on Win XP
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 12:49:51 AM »
is this a laptop or destop pc you are asking about,some manufactors of laptops alter the processing speed to save battery power and thats why it takes longer to boot but if its a desktop pc by altering the bootini file fasterbootup can be achieved but backup the reg first>..Using Windows explorer find the file called BOOT.INI on your system drive. Change the attributes of the file from read-only, by right clicking on it and choosing Properties, and then under Attributes, uncheck 'Read-only'. Then double-click on BOOT.INI and it should open in Notepad.

Under the [boot loader] section is a value called "timeout=". The number after the "=" sign is the time in seconds Windows will wait for a selection. Change the value according to the options below.

Set the value to the number of seconds between 1 and 999. To make Windows boot instantly change this value to "0" (i.e. timeout=0). To make Windows wait indefinitely change this value to "-1" (i.e. timeout=-1). Save the file, and restart Windows for the change to take effect.
ok.m

karen

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 02:42:42 PM »
Thanks Merlin, I will give it a try! :)

karen

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 03:32:14 PM »
Well I searched and searched and I could not find a boot.ini file anywhere on my computer.  Could it be called something else in Windows xp?

Joleen

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 06:35:32 AM »
Go into your Folder Options-> View and select the Show Hidden Files and Folders then search again.

merlin

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 12:27:17 PM »
if you dont  wish to edit the reg and it maybe over your head try tweakui>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp or look here>http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=76
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 12:31:29 PM by merlin »