Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Input/Output Devices and Scanning  (Read 5168 times)

sgarcia

Topic Starter

Starter

Input/Output Devices and Scanning
    « on: September 12, 2008, 03:31:36 PM »
    Hi!  I'm new to this board and in dire need of help.  I know very little about computers, but am interested in knowing more.  If someone could answer these two questions for me, that would be great.  The first question is:  input/output devices were created to solve what problem? and the second question is:  If I scanned a painting and then printed it back out, would I get exactly the same picture back?

Thanks.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Input/Output Devices and Scanning
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 01:24:26 AM »
    Sounds like homework to me.

I have a question that will help you answer your questions,:
    What are Input and Output devices. (to make sure you know)

Also, resolution is a key here....

sgarcia

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 06:08:25 AM »
      Good morning Carbon Dudeoxide!  Thank you for replying back to me.  Actually, these questions are a homework assignment.  I am 52 years old and graduated in 1974.  High school was a nightmare.  Reading, studying and taking tests never came easy to me.  I was an average grade student.  Looking back on my life, I wish I could have done better in high school.  Going to college was just not an option back then; however, I put my fears aside and decided to take two classes at the local community college where I live.  To answer your question...an input device is a keyboard or a mouse that is used to enter data into the computer...an output device is a monitor or printer that is used to display information.  I believe that resolution has something to do with pixels (the quality of a picture).  I guess I am just looking for an explanation of my questions in layman's terms.  I just don't want to be a failure to myself or my family.  Thank you so much.   

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 06:16:24 AM »
      All right.  ;)

Although we try not to help anyone with their homework here, I'll see what I can do.

1) Input/output devices were created to solve what problem?
      I think you can come up with something here. What problems will there be without a mouse and keyboard?

2) If I scanned a painting and then printed it back out, would I get exactly the same picture back?
      High Resolution Scanner + Printer will give you a High Resolution picture, but there are also issues with the scanning process and printed colors.

See how that goes.  :)

Ivy

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 06:17:37 AM »
      This is how we use Input /output Devices.

The most common input devices used by the computer are the keyboard and the mouse. The keyboard allows the entry of textual information while the mouse allows the selection of a point on the screen by moving a screen cursor to the point and pressing a mouse button. Using the mouse in this way allows the selection from menus on the screen etc. and is the basic method of communicating with many current computing systems. Alternative devices to the mouse are tracker balls, light pens and touch sensitive screens.

The most common output device is a monitor which is usually a Cathode Ray Tube device which can display text and graphics. If hard-copy output is required then some form of printer is used.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 06:17:46 AM »
      No rules on the forum against answering users assignment questions.

Input/output devices were created to allow you to interact with a computer. Without an input device your computer would be nothing more than a paper weight. Without an output (e.g. monitor) it'd be a little better you could interact with it just couldn't see what you were doing and the results.

Input devices:
      http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/i/inputdev.htm

Output Devices:
      http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/o/outputde.htm

No, your print would not come out exactly the same because it's likely your printer quality wouldn't match that used in the painting. However apart from the quality the picture would be the same.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 06:21:10 AM »
      No rules on the forum against answering users assignment questions.

Oh.....Well then.  ;D ;D

sgarcia

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 08:52:34 AM »
        Thank you for all of your help.  Especially for allowing me to post a homework assignment on this board.  This particular computer class I am taking is a prequisite course.  It's just so important to me that I learn and understand it.  If I do well enough, I want to take more computer classes in the spring.  It's not that 52 is old, but when you get to be this age, you realize half of your life is over.  If I don't grab the brass ring now, I may not get another chance to.

Thanks again to those who replied to my post :D   

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 08:57:05 AM »
        Good Luck!