Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to delete multiple boot options  (Read 3908 times)

stormbringer748

Topic Starter

Starter

How to delete multiple boot options
    « on: September 12, 2008, 09:25:14 PM »
    Hi guy's , I've had some failed attemps at loading windows, please don't ask me why, I don't know the answer, but because of this when I start up the PC there are 3 OS choices for me to choose from. Obviously, only one of those choices actually works, but how do I get rid of the other 2 so she just boots straight into windows???

Thanks in advance for your help : )

Storm
    « Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:02:10 AM by stormbringer748 »
    QX9650 wc'd, sitting on a 790i Ultra, oc'd for 24/7 ops @ 4Ghz/1600Mhz fsb, linked and synced with 4Gb of ram, running 2 GTX 280's in SLI and a Quattro 1000w. Using an ssd for the os etc and 2 hdd's in raid 0 for gaming. Sound is via the X-Fi Extreme Gamer + Logitech's Z-5500. viewed through a Samsung 245T.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: How to delete multiple boot options
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 01:32:46 AM »
    What Version of Windows is this?

Is this a recent development?

stormbringer748

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 03:57:28 AM »
      Hi Carbon, tx for responding..................Vista, and yes and no, I changed my setup and used an ssd for the os and 2 hdd's in raid 0 for gaming. I had problems with the ssd setup, hence the failed instals. That's all fixed now, so all I need to work out is how to delete those bad instals so I can just boot straight into vista without having to chose the correct version : )
      « Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:46:22 AM by stormbringer748 »
      QX9650 wc'd, sitting on a 790i Ultra, oc'd for 24/7 ops @ 4Ghz/1600Mhz fsb, linked and synced with 4Gb of ram, running 2 GTX 280's in SLI and a Quattro 1000w. Using an ssd for the os etc and 2 hdd's in raid 0 for gaming. Sound is via the X-Fi Extreme Gamer + Logitech's Z-5500. viewed through a Samsung 245T.

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 06:36:09 PM »
        With Vista, you have to use the bcdedit command and remove the two entries from the bootloader that don't work:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709667.aspx

However, that does nothing for the extra files left over from the other two failed installs...
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

stormbringer748

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 07:24:05 PM »
          Tx Killer. I've located the application but it doesn't stay open, I just get to see a flash then it's gone????

stormbringer748

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 07:39:28 AM »
            ok, problem solved : )     After reading the link you provided and following many others, it was a simple case of starting the msconfig, which allows you to delete multi os installs : )
            Thanks for all your ideas guy's, appreciate it : ))
            « Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 07:35:22 PM by stormbringer748 »

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:59:02 AM »
            Good Work, killerb255.  :)

Puternut

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 03:40:41 PM »
            Ok how can I delete the bad second entry to get straight to windows boot in XP home?
            This started after a crash/format reload.
                                                                 Thanks

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 07:31:28 PM »
            Start a new topic please with more information. Please look here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,33586.html