Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Not able to access my computer  (Read 4016 times)

Iti Hine

Not able to access my computer
« on: March 10, 2005, 10:00:00 PM »
The CMOS of the computer prevents access to it, as both the mouse and keyboard are locked.  I have tried connecting different keyboard and mouse to the box to with no success, there is a high pitched sound coming from either the KB or mouse port.  Windows 98.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Not able to access my computer
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 11:14:14 PM »
    Iti Hine....you could try resetting the CMOS ........either by using the jumper or removing and replacing the CMOS battery .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 12:41:59 PM »
    Iti:

i agree with dl.  But if that doesn't work, please answer these questions to help me suggest another cure:

• Is a key stuck on the keyboard?  This will often produce a continuous beep.

• Did you power the computer down before you tried another keyboard?

• Are you sure the sound is not coming from the speaker inside the computer case?  The BIOS uses this speaker to provide beep codes which may give a clue as to what is wrong.

• Is there a series of beeps or just one long beep?

• Are any error messages displayed on the monitor?

• Does the monitor show the Starting Windows screen at all?

Let us know,
    Doc
    « Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 12:45:54 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Iti Hine

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 07:52:52 PM »
     Thanks for your response.  I had anticipated that I may have to replace the battery given the computer is approximately 8 years.  I was hoping for other options.

Query:  what is a jumper?

Iti Hine

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 08:16:31 PM »
    Thanks for your response

#  apparently not as i tried another "pin" keyboard

#  NO.......I swopped with a USB keyboard before doing so

#  Yes

#   series of beeps

#   CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded

#   Yes

(PS  I have connected the mouse only, no sounds are emitted, nor is there any function)

Stickyfgz

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 08:30:14 PM »
    Then your keyboard have a problem like a key is stuck so thats why your pc is beeping. But the best still to reset the CMOS by removing the battery and unplugged your Power supply too  ;)

Iti_Hine

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 09:17:07 AM »
    Thanks

I have swopped 2 other keyboards to no avail.  Yes  it seems the only option is to do as suggested...

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 11:52:51 AM »
    Hopeful:

I'm hopeful that replacing the battery will do the trick.  Here are instructions as to how to do this:

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/slowclock.html

Also, it may help to try a non-USB keyboard so that you may access the BIOS & set it to the default configurations.  Is there any mini-DIN port (also called a P/S 2 port) in the back of the computer for a different keyboard?  The port will look like a round small circle with six small holes.  If there is, try getting another keyboard & plugging it in there (some computer stores sell them used for under $5.00).  You may also purchase a USB-to-mini-DIN converter so your USB keyboard may plug into the mini-DIN port.  

Regards,
    Doc

Iti_Hine

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 07:18:19 AM »
    Thanks Doc

I have tried all that you have suggested regarding the keyboard to no avail.  Will change the battery upon my return home at the end of month.  Many thanks for your response.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 10:05:21 AM »
    Iti:

I think that's your best course of action.   The error message, "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded" often occurs when the battery that supplies power to the CMOS is low on power.  The battery allows it to keep the settings for your BIOS even when the PC power is turned off.

Keep us posted.
    Doc