Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't boot/load... not even in safe mode  (Read 4189 times)

naibor

Topic Starter

Computer won't boot/load... not even in safe mode
    « on: September 22, 2008, 02:03:59 AM »
    When I turn on the computer I first see the Gateway logo in the middle of the screen... then the windows xp loading screen comes up but right after that the computer restarts itself.  When I try to go into safe mode it loads all the .sys files on the screen, it pauses for a couple seconds and then it restarts itself.  I'm trying to get to the desktop so I can use the system restore to the day before my computer crashed on me and definitely backup my files so I can do a reformat.  I've been trying a lot of tutorials I've been searching for on google to repair windows xp for the past few days but still can't get it to load.  I tried using a program called "ultimate boot cd" and still doesn't wanna work.  Anyone know how to fix this?  Is there something I can download and make a cd out of that will get my computer working?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer won't boot/load... not even in safe mode
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 05:29:05 AM »
    Welcome to ComputerHope.

We need more information. Please look here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,33586.html

naibor

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 01:27:21 PM »
      I'm using windows xp.

I got a couple error messages:

Here's what it tells me when I try using the command bootcfg /rebuild from the recovery console using the xp cd:
      Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.

Note: This operation must complete successfully in order for the /add or /rebuild commands to be utilized.

When I tried loading to safe mode it said this file is missing or corrupt:
      \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Specs: Gateway, 3.4 ghz intel p4 ht processor, 1GB of ram, 250 GB Serial ATA  HDD

This issue started occurring one day about a week ago when I was using the computer it started freezing on me a few times then the computer completely froze.  The power switch sounded like it was wanted to turn off and on a few times so I turned off the computer manually.  When I tried starting it again it wouldn't load to the desktop.  I got it to load a couple times to the desktop, don't know how I did it, but when the computer would be on for a while it crashed on me and went to a blue screen with white letters saying beginning of dump etc... something along that line.  Now when I try loading safe mode it restarts itself after it loads all the .sys files.  I don't know what I did for this to start happening.  I did not install any new hardware, not sure about any new programs though.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 03:10:23 AM »
      Do you have the Windows XP CD?

If so, I would try a Repair Install: