Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB  (Read 5053 times)

Maureen Egan

USB
« on: March 15, 2005, 11:35:05 AM »
I received a "thumbdrive" but cannot seem to use it on a win 95C.  Is there a way to update usb to enable the thumb drive to work? ???

neo_wraith

Re: USB
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 03:49:02 PM »
Nope...you will either have to download new drivers for it through windows support or you will have to upgrade your Operating system...also check if it is USB 1 compatible or USB 2...if you a USB 1 socket on your computer you can not read or write to a USB 2 device.  Some devices also require 2000 or XP so check into that as well

Corrosive

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »
if you a USB 1 socket on your computer you can not read or write to a USB 2 device

Incorrect. USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1.1. I have a USB 2.0 data stick that works just fine on my 1.1 port. It's a little slower, that's all - the device is slowed down by the port.

neo_wraith

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 01:49:33 PM »
USB 1 ports on your computer can not read USB2 devices unless that devise can go down to 1.1..other wise you can not read USB2.

Corrosive

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 01:16:38 PM »
[sigh]

You may have heard that USB 2.0 is "backward-compatible" with USB 1.0/1.1 (Full-Speed USB). While that's true, USB 1.1 is also forward-compatible with USB 2.0. Whenever a system has USB 2.0 ports, you'll find the "Enhanced" USB controller in Device Manager, but you will also find two other USB controllers. These two to mantain backward compatibility to USB 1.1 devices.

Source: http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

neo_wraith

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 01:23:26 PM »
If and only if the hardware supports it..some USB1.1 can not read USB 2 unless it says otherwise and if it does..you can corrupt the data.  They still do not like each other that much...especially third part wares that are not supported by the manufacture of cerftifed USB.  Things like thumb storage are still not that great of devices yet, especially if it is generic.  Buy one that is USB Certified.  This is what I meant earilier...sorry for the confusion.

johnwill

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 06:45:58 PM »
I have yet to encounter a USB FLASH drive, USB hard disk, or even a USB CD/DVD drive that wouldn't work on a USB 1.1 connection, subject to the speed limitations of the interface.  I have at least a dozen USB hard disks of various sizes, three CD or DVD drives, and probably 7-8 FLASH drives.  All work just fine on USB 1.1 ports on any computer I've connected them to.

neo_wraith

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 12:57:50 PM »
Generic thumb drives are different..trust me...I have had more problems with corruption and data loss...If it is not certified USB you can have but loads of problems.  Personally, I perfer Firewire devices to USB devices.  Thumb drives are a fairly new technology and has issuses.  Buy a couple of them..try them on different machines other than your own and find out.  

johnwill

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 04:44:26 PM »
Most of my USB FLASH drives are generic models.  I only have two brand names I recognize, those being the Lexar models.

Corrosive

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 12:31:04 PM »
Right, we'll settle this. neo_wraith, find us a link to a product that explicitly says that it is only USB2 compatible. I certainly have never seen any.

Oh, and we seem to have lost track of what the whole point of this thread was about. Try this, Ma'am: http://www.usbman.com/Win95%20USB%20Guide.htm
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 12:35:04 PM by Corrosive »

Tofu

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 06:34:48 PM »
actually devices are made explicitly USB 2.0 compatible i would link you, but if you heard the name you would know what i am talking about. Sure it can be firewired with the correct adapter, however it can not be USB 1.1
iPod mini

The lady's problems are her drivers. she needs to find a storage driver compatible with her device... which because her computer is win95 probably doesnt happen automatically. She needs to find what USB device she has and run a driver search on it.

johnwill

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 06:41:02 PM »
The answer to the original question is no.  There is not now, or was there ever, USB mass storage support for any version of Windows 95.

johnwill

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 06:45:09 PM »
actually devices are made explicitly USB 2.0 compatible i would link you, but if you heard the name you would know what i am talking about. Sure it can be firewired with the correct adapter, however it can not be USB 1.1
iPod mini
Actually, I'll bet money that the iPod Mini works without any special handling, other than plugging it into the USB 1.1 port.  Here's a couple of results of a simple Google search for you to chew on.

---------------------------------------------------

Q: Does the iPod Work with USB 1.1?

A:  Yes it does, though Apple does not recommend it. They do not give a reason other than the fact that it will be extremely slow. You should remember that the iPod will be active for much longer periods of time when uploading, so additional wear and tear (and possibly heat build up) could be the reason why Apple recommends against this. It is probably best therefore to upload small batches of files at a time to the iPod using a USB 1.1 connection.

----------------------------------------------------------------

It works fine. I have a new mini and am using it with USB1.1. It is slower at transfering the songs but very useable. Also it charges the mini fine too. Welcome to the ipod Lounge and I hope you enjoy your new mini