Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: usb  (Read 3052 times)

seawolf19645

usb
« on: March 15, 2005, 04:40:17 PM »
i just put a usb card in my computer and noticed a a little power plug just like the one on a floppy. do i need to plug in a power source to it in order for it to work? what is it for?

Computer_Commando

Re: usb
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 04:50:54 PM »
Never saw one like that.  What is make and model of USB card?

neo_wraith

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 02:07:20 PM »
Is this for a notebook or desktop?
Also did it come with a thin white wire that is two to four prong?  if it is that probably gets put onto your Motherboard...most pci USB cards have a plugin that goes directly into the motherboard.  If is power outlet...I have no clue!

seawolf19645

reply on usb
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 03:34:14 PM »
it is a plug just like the one on a floppy drive where you plug your power from the power source. there is no other wires, there is ports on the outside and  on the inside. and next to the 2 on the inside is that little plug where you can plug the floppy power source in it. does it have to do with hot swappable and what does that mean?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 03:53:17 PM by seawolf19645 »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 04:20:08 PM »
I can only speculate.  USB is able to supply power to the USB device.  All the power comes from the PCI Bus.  The connector may allow power directly from the power supply, so as not to overload the PCI Bus power.  This would only be necessary if all 4 USB ports required power at the same time.  I think USB is max of 1A/port, so, 4A from the power supply.

johnwill

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 06:53:16 PM »
Actually, USB ports are limited to .5A of +5V each, and aren't usually an issue in massive power drain.  :)