Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my computer freezes as soon as i turn it on and click on any icon.  (Read 2800 times)

lily441

Topic Starter

Starter

Well...the subject just about covers it.  Last night my computer was working with no problems, and then it froze up, so I restarted it....and then after it was back on...when i clicked on any icon or the start menu...it immediately froze again.  And i repeated this unfortunate cycle about 15 times before i just gave up.  I tried again this morning, and it happened again.  This is really making my day sad.  If anyone has any insight...i would be beyond thankful to you.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: my computer freezes as soon as i turn it on and click on any icon.
    « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:03:27 AM »
    Does this problem still happen in Safe Mode?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 05:15:13 PM »
      lily441, Perchance when your computer "froze" was there a "floppy " disc in the floppy drive? Is it still in there? If so remove it and restart the computer. truenorth

lily441

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 06:43:37 AM »
        Thanks for the ideas.  I tried both of them.  My computer will not start in safe mode.  I am expecting the worst at this point.  I care less about the computer and more about the stuff I didn't get around to backing up.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 06:48:48 AM »
        Hmmmm....Strange.....

What Operating System is this?

What were you doing when the computer froze?

Any recent downloads/installs/hardware changes?

lily441

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 01:40:11 PM »
          i use windows xp.  and i was just doing my typical after work relaxing stuff...like  clothing shopping and checking emails.  nothing out of the ordinary.  then it wouldn't open a new tab...and after i restarted it...i couldn't get the internet explorer to open...now sometimes it will not even let me log in.  it just freezes up.  i haven't downloaded any new programs or changed anything. it has just completely stopped working.   the only thing was that i was a week behind on an update i needed to complete.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 02:36:28 PM »
          To retrieve any data you need you should hook it up jumpered as a slave drive on another machine preferably with the same flavor of Windows and then copy/burn what you need...

Afterwards you can do a Clean Install of XP...

Warning: Make sure you backup what you need because the clean install will wipe all your data in the first stage...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "