Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: When playing mpg or avi files, PC 'bluescreens' and shuts off, serious error msg  (Read 5659 times)

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Woo Woo
    Hi all

When playing video files (mpg or avi) in Windows media player OR VLC, my computer crashes badly, I get a sudden bluescreen and it shuts off in seconds. On restarting it checks the D drive (where the file was, I suppose thats why it checks D and not C) and then tells me the "system has recovered from a serious error".

I have managed through the wonders of technology (a digi recorder) to capture the error code from the bluescreen.

It tells me that:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

then the code lower down:

*** STOP:  0x0000000A  (0x00000016, 0x0000001C, 0x00000000, 0x804FA11E)

Then it dumps physical memory in a nanosecond and switches off...

Does anyone know if this could be a hardware problem, or a hard drive issue? Will the error code help?

I run Windows XP Pro with 2 gig of ram, with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+, the vid card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT and it is the newest thing in the system and has worked for six months prior to this... videos have played on this card in this system before.

My hard drive is the oldest thing in the system but HD checks show no issues?

Thanks,  :)

C

(this is a repost of an old (30 day+) post/problem but I thought I would start a new post)

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
    Post your computer temperatures, while idle, and while playing videos.

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Woo Woo
      Hi Broni

I won't be able to play more than half a second of a video before it crashes, will it still be a reliable test?

The error code may be a chip heat problem?

C

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is very likely to be caused by overheating. Next one - bad RAM.
      So, have SpeedFan open, and watch the temps.

Post also processor type.

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • Woo Woo
        Broni,

Great program... I analysed my HD as well, great fitness and performance there.

Temps are as follows when idle:

T1 38
        T2 33
        T3 25
        HD0 32
        Core 28
        Core 59

The second core seems quite high...

I cannot get temp readings when playing vid files though... I tried to open one and watch the temp but it crashes too quickly. Instead I moved some files from C to D then back again then zipped some files and unzipped them and basically tried to give the CPU a workout but the temp only went to 60 and back to 59...

Is the core too high?

The processor is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+, is there more info about it that you need?

How can I check RAM?

thanks,

C

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        Your core 2 is definitely hot. Your processor max temps are listed at 70C, so 59C while idle IS hot.
        Playing videos, will increase that temperature by at least few degrees, and it looks like your computer is protecting CPU from overheating by shutting the computer off.

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • Woo Woo
          Ok. Problem found! Thanks...

What can I do about it, I have dusted it off (it was quite clean) and it is a massive radiator on the chip... by the way is the core 2 reading the main processor temp? I might check my warranty but I'm not sure if that reading is from the chip, or somewhere else i.e. board.

the board and processor are quite new, about 6-8 months old. could I return it with the temp readings for an exchange, do you think?

is there a way to make the cooling radiators work more efficiently?

c

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          Since I'm not a hardware guy, you'll have to wait for hardware experts to chime in here.

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          • Woo Woo
            Broni

I've found a few other theories on the forum that suggest that my error message is due to hardware and IRQ conflicts...

(http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=26107.0)

also, there is a document regarding slow computers on the forum (ch000687) seems to suggest the temp my AMD chip is running at is actually ok, 65-70c is the average temp and mine is at 60c... did you find info about the temp elsewhere that says 60c is too hot?

I'd love to hear from any hardware or IRQ experts...! meanwhile i'll keep digging the forum...  :)

c

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            • Woo Woo
              additional info...

in Device Manager, under Other Devices, there are two pieces of hardware with the nasty yellow exclamation marks...

Other PCI Bridge Device
              SM Bus controller

both say that the drivers are not installed... I tried to install them from my XP disk and also from the web without luck. (cannot find the software)

Question... how can I find the tech details for these bits of hardware so I can search online for the drivers? Or, can I disable one or the other?

cheers,

c

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              Those drivers will be on the Driver CD that shipped with the MBoard...you may as well install all of them.
              This will not harm the system.
              Chipset drivers first...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              I've found a few other theories on the forum that suggest that my error message is due to hardware and IRQ conflicts...
              Possible, but you have overheating problem, no question about it.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              Believe it or not missing/corrupted drivers will cause a CPU to work harder than it needs to which can lead to heat issues...fix the driver issues first.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              Do I have another choice? I must agree :)

kaigan

Beginner

sorry to intervene, but do you have an external laptop cooling fan(they are mostly found in computer hardware and electronic shops)? if you do then you could try using that to cool your computer down and then see if everything works fine....i think this might do it as you know that your processor is getting hot.