Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop to tower temp.connection  (Read 3243 times)

Suset Embury

Laptop to tower temp.connection
« on: March 19, 2005, 10:13:35 PM »
 :)Hi Total newby here!!
My sister has all of her photos stored on her laptop (new baby, family the whole 9 yards!)  She wants to burn them to disk but does not have a CD burner on that computer.  Can we hook the lap top up to my home computer and transfer the photos from the laptop to my burner then to disk?  Would I have to set up a network, or could I just use a USB cable and have my computer search for new hardware? We both run Windows XP so it seems a simple solution.  I know wishful thinking but I am ever the optimist!  Any advise?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Laptop to tower temp.connection
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 11:17:35 PM »
    Suset Embury......Well there are a number of ways to do this .....but if you wish to do it without spending any money ........You could take the folder that has the pics in them ....zip it and E mail it to your pc ....or use msm  messenger and do a file transfer that way .......

Both methods will work and will cost nothing .....

Hope this helps

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Suset Embury

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 11:31:25 AM »
    We thought of that, she is on dial-up as she lives in a remote area, and I am on high speed.  Will it take hours and hours to send?  Thats why we havent gone that route.  Thanks for your repy! :)

johnwill

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 06:15:18 PM »
    If you have Ethernet cards in both machines, use an Ethernet crossover cable.  If not, you can buy a special USB network cable that will do the trick.  Do NOT connect USB ports directly together without the proper direct connect cable.