Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC WONT BOOT- SAME CONFIG AS MY LAST PC  (Read 2213 times)

xenon6543

Topic Starter

Rookie

PC WONT BOOT- SAME CONFIG AS MY LAST PC
    « on: October 22, 2008, 05:06:41 AM »
    Hi, i fried my mother board on my last pc (dell dimension e521) and found it was  cheaper to buy a base unit with a faster processor.

Now the pcs are identical..... the base unit came with a hard drive but i wanted my old hard drives... so i took out the new harddrive and inserted my new ones set up exactly like my old pc.. i then put in my video card etc... the first time i booted it booted up to my loging screen, as it normaly would.....so every thing was working... but after a few seconds. about 20... it would crash dump. The first time it crash dumped i reset it myself and the same thing happened, so i let it gather the info and restart itself........now i get nothing. no beeps, just a blank screen and i can hear the fans like normal.

any help much appreciated

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: PC WONT BOOT- SAME CONFIG AS MY LAST PC
      « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:04:25 AM »
      "...with a faster processor."  There's the possibility that this faster processor is on a different motherboard.  Just because it's a Dell with the same model # doesn't mean the exact same components are in both of them.  Compare them.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

xenon6543

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 08:37:54 AM »
        i just realised that it was the bios that wasnt liking the slight change..... i should have used my windows cd to boot and repair the settings by pressing f12..... but after fiddling around changing bits... im now getting long beeps at the post.. still blank screen... but long beeps.. i hope i havent damanged my graphics card

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 04:28:26 PM »
        i just realised that it was the bios that wasnt liking the slight change

This doesn't make sense...new MBoard = new BIOS.

A repair install would have been the solution but you can't use a Dell Recovery CD to do so...borrow an XP CD with the same ver. and Service Packs installed on that drive and try a  Repair Install of XP

Before doing this however i'd check Dell's site for that beep code...you may just have something not seated properly.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "