Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win xp installation after new build  (Read 5118 times)

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Win xp installation after new build
    « on: October 22, 2008, 05:44:43 AM »
    I recenty built my first ever pc and completed building it however when i came to install win xp on to it i encountered problems.
    When i put the disk in to install, i get the blue screen i choose to install win xp but it does nothing it says please wait along the bottom and it doesn't move from there, i left it for hours and it does nothing and the pc goes quiet as well.

so i tried different options instead of installing win xp i press f6 to install raid drivers it looks but cannot find any and then tells me to install a floppy disk, i dont have a floppy disk that came with it.

so, then i took it to a local pc repair shop they have spent a while trying to install windows on it but they say because it is a sata hard drive it is difficult and they need to find drivers. they say windows cannot detect the hard drive and so cannot install and they cannot do anything after trying to search for the drivers on the net.

They also tell me that there may be a problem with the motherboard and that i should get a new one but i paid a lot of money for it and i do not think there is anything wrong with it as the pc still boots and stuff and the hard drive is detected in bios.

What can i do now?
    Thanks for any help

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Win xp installation after new build
      « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:01:16 AM »
      Are you using a "real" Windows CD or a pirated one / tried a different hard drive?

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

tombom

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:26:54 AM »
        Try Driverguide to find a RAID driver, that MIGHT work.
        You need to register to get drivers there, but it's free.
        EDIT: You can then write files from the RAID driver to floppy and try the f6 thing agian.

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 02:44:05 PM »
          yes ale52 it is a real windows disk and i have used it to install win xp before.
          thanks for your help tombom but what drivers am i looking for the hard drive dirvers or motherboard drivers.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 03:23:25 PM »
          If that repair shop said they couldn't locate SATA drivers for your machine by all means Get that machine outta there and don't take it back to them ! !

DLoad and run Everest Home if you don't know the MBoard manufacturer...if you do the SATA drivers will be on their site...they are sometimes listed as RAID drivers.
          Burn them to CD and at the F6 prompt insert the CD and point XP to that location and your install will continue...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 03:04:08 AM »
          I have ha windows installs go screwy before 'cos in the BIOS A drive is set to 3 1/2 inch 2.44MB and not none when there is nothing connected, and XP Setup if trying to find this drive searching for a driver floppy or a floppy with a install script on it, but 'cos it can't find the drive, it hangs.

Hope this helps

tombom

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 09:32:47 AM »
            Normally, when I get RAID/Sata drivers, it gives you them in a zip archive w/ a bunch of unneeded files.  you may have put on the wrong files.  Also Kurtislan, use a usb floppy if you have one.
            Idk if that is any help.
            and Yesterday, A PC REPAIR SHOP SHOULD SO (MAKE THAT SO, SO, SO!) be able to find a RAID driver.  I could probably find it in a few mins on driverguide or even the mfg. site!  Then just put the correct files onto floppy.

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 03:52:28 PM »
              i have downloaded the drivers of the manufactures website and i made the disk using the makedisk.exe, when i press f6 on installation and it goes to the floppy i get loads of options inside the floppy:
              Jmicron jmb363 raid controllers win2k/x
              "                  "    ahci      "                "
              and then loads more the same with just the numbers changing, when i choose the ahci it is okay when i go to choose raid it says windows already got this do you want to use windows or this one, you should use windows unless manufacture says. i have chosen both options but nothing.

when i pick the ahci then choose raid and go onto use windows it goes ahead but when i get to the format stage it freezes on 0% and doesnt move i have chosen both quick and normal but nothing, can anybody help.

Thanks

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »
              The drivers should be installed as part of the Setup process ffor XP...
              Run setup using the XP CD...very early on you will see a bottom screen message "press F6 to install RAID/SATA drivers....press F6. At this point put the floppy in and choose the first driver on the list.
              Windows setup will continue after this.

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                « Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 11:36:57 AM »
                thats what i did patio and when i pick raid drivers on the list in the floppy windows says "i've already got this do you wanna use mine or the naumufactures use mine it is better unless the manufacture said so"

I have used window and the manuactures but nothing upon format it freezes.

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                  « Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 05:54:27 AM »
                  i have also done a hard drive diagnostic using a tool by the manufacturer and it passed so there is no fault with the hard drive.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 08:29:20 AM »
                  Where did you get these drivers from ? ?

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                    « Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 04:51:07 PM »
                    the manufacturers site, i chose my make and model of my motherboard and thne it brought me a list off all things i can download for the mb, it had raid drivers i downloaded them and that was an exe that made a floppy disk that can be used when f6 comes up on the installation screen

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                      « Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 03:03:27 PM »
                      i have also made a slipstream win xp disk with the drivers built in but the installation just hangs at please wait after i have pressed enter to install win xp.

will it make a difference if i try vista on it or some other operating system? But i really want win xp to work on it...

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                        « Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 04:36:47 PM »
                        Anybody...no...anybody