Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: conflict with programs?  (Read 2679 times)

coyote454

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    conflict with programs?
    « on: December 07, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »
    Here's an interesting problem. I've tried to download a dvd copier to my desktop (Gateway) but each program I've tried (Cheetah, Fly DVD Copier, Magic DVD Copier, One-Click) all have the same results.  They will download fine, but will not open and often freeze the computer.  Each time one has failed to work I delete it through Control Panel, and try another.  But the same results each time.

I thought this may indicate a conflict with one of my existing programs, But how do you find out which one?  No error messages appear; programs just won't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike

truenorth

Guru

Re: conflict with programs?
      « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 10:43:13 AM »
      Have you checked your "security " settings? Are you behind a firewall? truenorth

coyote454

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »
        Checked the security settings and they're set at default. I do use a firewall (Zonealarm) which seems to be working properly.

Since the programs seem to be downloading and setup seems to work (they always go all the way through the setup process to 'finish') I believe the programs are downloading correctly.  But they still will not open (work).

I'm using XP, if that matters. Also use Chrome for a browser.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 06:10:22 PM »
          What,if any, media software programs DO you have CURRENTLY installed ? IE Nero,etc. truenorth

coyote454

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 09:53:52 PM »
            Windows Media Player 10. It seems to work fine.