Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: burning DVDs and CDs  (Read 3374 times)

hot dog

burning DVDs and CDs
« on: November 09, 2008, 07:56:13 PM »
I've burned many CDs and/or DVDs and they eventually became unreadable.  For example, I have a DVD with .jpg files (pictures) burned onto it.  I didn't use any special program to burn the DVD.  Using windows Vista, I simply inserted a recordable DVD and dragged the files over to the disk, and that was that.

I was able to retreive data from the DVD a few times after burning it.  But today for some reason I'm unable to read the data off of it.....and it doesn't look like I'll be able to retrieve any data from it again.

Could someonw explain what a recording "session" is, or "multiple session"???
Also, how to burn a DVD/CD any be able to use it on any computer???
Or gives me some helpful tips????     ;D

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: burning DVDs and CDs
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »
In simple terms CDs, and DVDs come in two flavors: R (read only), and RW (read, and write).
RW type are like little hard drives (different type of storage method, but it doesn't matter at this point), you can write files to them, delete them, write  new files, and so on.
R type can be written to only once (you can't delete anything). This is where "multiple session" kicks in. In order for R type to be read on any other computer, the writing session has to be closed ("closing disk"). As long as the session is open, you can still add more data to R type media. Some today, some tomorrow, and so on - hence "multiple session".

Now, off to your problem. What exactly happens, when you try to read data from those DVDs?

hot dog

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 02:23:22 AM »
Ok, the disk I'm having a problem with is a DVD/RW disk.

I have two optical drives in my computer.  One is a DVD/CD RW combo, and the other is a plain DVD/CD drive.  When I insert the disk into the RW drive, it reads the disk for a long time and then a window appears saying it's ok to "drag" files or folders over.  My .jpg files don't show up anywhere...It's like they just disappeared...  If I insert the disk into the Plain drive, it reads the disk for a while and then says:

J:\ is not accessible   The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable

I used the disk yesterday and was able to read the .jpg files and now they are gone.  In case you are wondering, I'm using Windows Vista Business, 512 MB ram, Pentium 4   (I know its not enough RAM, when I'm not poor I'll get more ;D)

Do all CDs support multiple sessions?  How do you close a session, or keep it open?  If the session is closed does that mean it is closed for good?   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:44:52 AM by hot dog »

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 05:57:51 PM »
I'd start with trying that DVD on another computer to make sure, it's not disk, which went bad.
...and yes, when disk is closed, it's closed for good. You can't reopen it.

hot dog

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 09:17:53 PM »
I have no other computer to try the disk on at the moment, however, I checked a little more closely to narrow down the possibilities and this is how it breaks down...

I can put DVD+R disks into both drives and can read the data, fine.
I can put CD-R disks into both drives and can read the data, fine.
I can put DVD/RW disks into both drivese and can read the data, fine.

However, I cannot get either drive to read the data on that one DVD/RW disk
(with the .jpg files).  When I look at the bottom of the disk I can see that it has stuff burned to the disk.  But the drivese just spin the disk and don't display any data.

Incidentally, I've had problems in the past with the DVD/CD RW drive.  It will not read certain DVD movies, even if they are brand new, but when I insert the same DVD movies into the plain DVD/CD drive they work fine.   Actually, the reason I have the plain DVD/CD  drive installed on my computer is for when I come across those certain DVD movies that the DVD/CD RW drive won't play. 

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 09:31:47 PM »
Well, without checking that particular DVD on another computer, we won't know, if it's good, or bad DVD, won't we?
Since it can't be properly read in both drives, I suspect the DVD went bad.
On a top of it, it looks like your DVD RW drive is malfunctioning as well. Since that happens, we can't even try to make a copy of "bad"(?) DVD.

hot dog

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:14:21 PM »
I have an IBM computer, with Windows 98, Pent. 2, 256 MB of RAM.  But it doesn't have a DVD drive in it.  Only a CD drive.  Would the test work if I took one of the DVD drives out of my computer and installed it in the IBM? 

Is the purpose of the test to see how the DVD acts in another drive, or another computer?

I can take the DVD with me to school tomorrow, I have a class and I can go early to check it in one of the schools computers.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:55:36 PM »
I can take the DVD with me to school tomorrow, I have a class and I can go early to check it in one of the schools computers.
That would be great...

hot dog

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:40:56 PM »
I'll do that and get back to you tomorrow... ;D

thanks for working with me on this

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 11:42:35 PM »
No problem :)

Dias de verano

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 12:01:48 AM »
If I had problems with only one disk and that disk was a DVD-RW I don't think it would take Sherlock Holmes or Einstein to work out the reason. Especially if I had been using the same disk over and over. Bottom line: RW disks are unreliable and are not for archiving anything you want to keep.

hot dog

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »
OK..

I had the opportunity to try the disk in two other computers and wasn't able to read any data from the disk.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 09:07:39 AM »
OK..

I had the opportunity to try the disk in two other computers and wasn't able to read any data from the disk.

If the disc was not finalised the machines won't read from it...DLoad and install the Free Trial of ISOBuster and see if it sees data on there. If it does then you are not finalising your burning sessions...

P.S. You can retrieve the data using the above program and start over.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "