Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems after reformatting  (Read 3263 times)

barndoor

Problems after reformatting
« on: March 28, 2005, 01:49:10 AM »
Hello. I have been trying all day to sort this out & now have to ask for help. I have an old P133 which had 2 HDD & CD-ROM. Computer started to run slow so I thought to reinstall Win 98SE from scratch by fdisk & reformatting HDD. The second HDD was compressed & when I tried to uncompress it spat the dummy. No problem..just remove that drive & do what I was going to do. Have reformatted OK but in trying to reload Win 98 it does not recognise E drive. Have checked all connections (OK) have tried other CD-ROM's (no difference). Keep getting error CDR101. Have downloaded & tried to instal the driver again, but still no go. No more ideas!!!!

mektek

Hopeful
  • Witty comment to be advised
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Problems after reformatting
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 07:59:16 AM »
    With the other HDD removed it may have moved your CD to the next logical drive letter which will now be D:\
    Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
    A computer that was working until tinkering broke it

Kim Tang

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 12:53:56 PM »
    In Win98 you might have to manually change the drive letter in Autoexec.bat or the config.sys file
    Hth

Kim

barndoor

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 12:28:42 AM »
    I have also tried to use D drive ...no good. Apart from the error message CDR101 it indicates an invalid drive.

barndoor

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 12:30:34 AM »
    To Kim Tang. I cant load WIN98. Is there somne way I can mod these files before loading?

cigarman

Intermediate
      « Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 12:51:44 PM »
      Boot up using a Win 98 start up disk with CDROM support.  You should remove your 2nd hdd so that you have only one hdd, your system will default that to C: so the CDROM will be D:  the bootup floppy disk should have the CDROM drive defaulted to D: thus your CDROM driver will load and look for D: drive.  Once you have the CD working you can begin loading Win98.

If you don't have a win98 startup disk then you may have a friend with a PC running on Win98 he can make you a startup disk in Windows run command type format a: /s to transfer the system files and you can add your own CDROM driver if his is not compatible with your.
      HTHs.

Kim

barndoor

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 10:49:01 PM »
      thx to all who offered suggestions. I have solved problem now...it appears to be a combination of a bad IDE cable & a dirty CD ROM

cigarman

Intermediate
        « Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 05:16:26 AM »
        Thankyou for the feed back, we are glad to help.