Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer wouldn't fully turn on till I renamed Explorer, what caused it?  (Read 4002 times)

codedragondm

Topic Starter

After having read a few forums and help groups, I still cannot find out what exactly caused my computer to not run Explorer.exe or report it as "not found" when I tried to manual load it.  Renaming the file and loading worked fine, but that doesn't get to the root of the problem.

Does anyone know what caused this to happen?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer wouldn't fully turn on till I renamed Explorer, what caused it?
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 06:56:47 PM »
    Do you have Antivirus protection installed on your computer?
    What operating system are you using?
    Did you do anything prior to this happening? Install something, download something, run something... anything?

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to access the Task Manager.
    Click File> Run
    Type:
    sfc /scannow
    Be sure you have your XP disc ready. This program will search your computer for missing system files, and will replace them.
    In some cases, this can be a temporary virus solution, but it should at the very least get Explorer back.

codedragondm

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:00:18 PM »
      Sorry, I have Norton Anti Virus on my computer, I'm running XP, and last night I shut down my computer like normal and had no problems at that time. 

Everything happened this evening when I turned on the computer and all it showed was the background image for the desk top without icons or a task bar.

spiderlucci

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 01:29:36 PM »
       I would put explorer name back to what it was then scan it for any type of virus or spyware. restart the PC and see if explorer works if not  uninstall explorer .

restart the PC and install explorer again.

go to add/remove programs  and click on the add/remove windows components and look for explorer and uncheck it.. this will remove explorer... after the PC starts go back to add/remove windows components and put a check mark on explorer to install explorer again

Zylstra ideal will work too.

I hope this helps! :)

spider

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 02:16:12 PM »
      I would put explorer name back to what it was then scan it for any type of virus or spyware. restart the PC and see if explorer works if not  uninstall explorer .

restart the PC and install explorer again.

go to add/remove programs  and click on the add/remove windows components and look for explorer and uncheck it.. this will remove explorer... after the PC starts go back to add/remove windows components and put a check mark on explorer to install explorer again

Zylstra ideal will work too.

I hope this helps! :)

spider

sigh. You can't uninstall or reinstall "explorer" because explorer is a required component of the operating system. For the same reason, it doesn't appear in the add/remove windows components dialog.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

spiderlucci

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 02:19:04 AM »
      sorry about that BC_Programmer  :-[... i way over look what i saw on the post.. thinking "internet explorer" which is what i was talking about.

Thanks for letting me know!
      spider :)
      « Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 03:54:21 PM by spiderlucci »

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 04:13:18 PM »
      P.S. Just so you know ...Internet Explorer should not be removed as well.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

spiderlucci

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »
      why not patio, i never had a problem doing it myself in the pass ???

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 02:46:43 PM »
      he never said could not, he said should not.

I don't think IE 6 can be removed from XP without nlite...
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 05:03:51 PM »
      he never said could not, he said should not.

I don't think IE 6 can be removed from XP without nlite...
      Nope. I dont think it can even be removed from 2000.

Its an important component of Windows Updates.

spiderlucci

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 05:05:33 PM »
      BC_Programmer, i understand that part... I know you could uninstall but, why shouldn't you?

that was the question i should have made clear... sorry!

ok.. Zylstra , here we go...  you said Its an important component of Windows Updates.  However, that information is wrong or the person from Microsoft with that information was incorrect.

There's  a book by Leo Laporte's PC Help Desk pg133  Fixing a broken windows update it was called.

Leo said windows update is actually a component of enternet explorer.

Leo also said,  go to the add/remove programs windows components  uncheck internet explorer to uninstall explorer.... i did and restarted the PC and reinstalled it with no problem. I just want to know why you shouldn't remove it. because if it's because you guys are saying it's a component of enternet explorer... then that answer is wrong.

I did ask Microsoft if Windows update is actually a component of Internet Explorer... they said no and i told them where i got the information from.

correct me if i'm wrong but, if i am.... talk to Microsoft... they said it wasn't.

not breaking balls... just want to understand :)

::) spider

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:37:29 PM by spiderlucci »

Shark Fin 101

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 07:56:52 PM »
        I had a very similar problem with Norton Anti-Virus as well-- it quarantined Explorer.exe, thus making the system useless.  Your problem very well could have been the same. Renaming the file might have made Norton release it.

You might check the quarantine logs in Norton to see if it's in there.

Nihil sine Deo,
        Sharkfin