Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pheonix BIOS (Gigagyte GA - 7VT600)  (Read 4656 times)

Kris

Pheonix BIOS (Gigagyte GA - 7VT600)
« on: April 01, 2005, 07:45:34 AM »
I have a Gigabyte GA - 7VT600 a few weeks ago i turned on my computer only instead of seeing POST i seen
"Updating BIOS, Please Wait ......"  :-/

so i left my computer for 5 hours, and when i went back to it there was no change, so i thought how long does it take to write and verify 2MB of data, so i reset my computer and The computer just beeped

bottom line is i need it fixed, the bios chip is soldered directly onto the PCB there is no socket! is there any way to flash the BIOS indirectly using another computer and connecting the other mobo using a cable [serial or something]

Computer_Commando

Re: Pheonix BIOS (Gigagyte GA - 7VT600)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 07:53:19 AM »
1.  how long does it take to write and verify 2MB of data,

2.  is there any way to flash the BIOS indirectly using another computer and connecting the other mobo using a cable...

1.  Less than 1 minute.
2.  No.  If the compuer won't turn on, how would you do this?

Will it boot a floppy disk?
Sounds as if you might have had a power surge, which can easily kill a BIOS.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 07:54:42 AM by Computer_Commando »

Kris

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 06:00:25 AM »
no the motherboard doesnt even show post i have tried to flash bios from floppy but it doesnt even access the drive

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 08:46:32 AM »
...i have tried to flash bios from floppy but it doesnt even access the drive

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.  Most BIOS's have a protected area called the "Boot Block".  This allows recognition of the floppy drive.  It appears that your's is gone.  There are some 3rd party flash BIOS routines that allow rewriting of the Boot Block.  The one time I tried one, it took a partly functioning BIOS and completely killed it.

Is your motherboard still under warranty?  Contact Gigabyte, maybe they can offer you some assistance.

Kriscru

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 08:59:49 AM »
Thankyou for all your help Computer_Commando
much appreciated

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 09:12:52 AM »
It appears that maybe the Q-Flash routine in your BIOS crashed.  Tell Gigabyte exactly what happened and maybe they will send you a new motherboard.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/MotherBoard/Support/BIOS/HowToReflash/HowToReflash_1.htm