Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display Adapter Problem  (Read 7704 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Display Adapter Problem
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 09:49:33 AM »
Or simply borrow a PCI-e card to test as xavier suggested.
Try it in one slot at a time...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    « Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 12:38:15 PM »
    Sure there are several stores around, but I don't want to waste the money when I'll just have to buy a board anyway.

Plus they will probably recommend another replacement board - since I'm not able to find that board online except through ebay.  Of course then I'll have to reinstall the software and that's a nightmare I'd rather not have.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 01:11:42 PM »
    But it's premature to assume it is the board...which is why we suggested borrowing a card to test it.

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 02:13:42 PM »
      No board to borrow.  So the question is, buy a board or go to a repair shop?

The second seems more expensive, especially if the board is at fault.  But even so, it is obviously a hardware problem and so will cost anyway.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:16:11 PM by bullwinkle »

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 08:23:50 AM »
      There's no one you know who you can borrow a PCI-e vid card from just to test ? ?
      A shop is certainly going to want some cabbage...even just to diagnose it.

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 08:35:27 AM »
        I know...and that's my problem.  The ONLY A8N-SLI board I've been able to find (and I've been searching the web for hours) is a Deluxe model (not as good as the Premium) for $200.

This is the only mb out there that is new.  You guys warned against buying a used one, so it seems new is the only way to go.

I figure it this way...the beeps said that the video adapter was at fault.  Well, I guess not because removing/replacing the card(s) didn't make any difference.  So if the new card creates the same problem, I've got to believe that it isn't the video hardware causing the problem.  Meanwhile I have mb to keep in case this one goes nuts again - especially if I hand it down to my wife, which is what I did with the unit I'm using now.

But first, I'm going to call ASUS tech support and see what they tell me.  The unit is no longer produced, I hope there will be some support.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 09:12:11 AM »
        I figure it this way...the beeps said that the video adapter was at fault.  Well, I guess not because removing/replacing the card(s) didn't make any difference.

When did you test another video adapter?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 10:02:28 AM »
          OK Guys, here's the scoop:

Contacted ASUS by live chat.  The guy says it is a memory problem, not a video one.  He tells me to exchange the 2 sticks by putting each of them into various slots.

Every one caused the same beeps.

He said that that means my problem is the CPU!  If I'm going to get a new CPU, I'm going to upgrade.  I currently have an AMD 64 4800 socket 939.

My ? to you: What is the most powerful AMD 939 socket CPU I could put into this mb?
          (A8N-SLI)

I've figured out that a FX-60 is the top of the line for this mb.  Is it advisable not to buy a used one, as it is with mbs?

Thanks again.
          « Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 12:25:53 PM by bullwinkle »

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 10:03:44 PM »
          I think it's a shame you are going to just go out and throw more cabbage at the problem when the problem hasn't even been yet determined...
          We've given you steps to help determine this but if you decide to do it on a phone call instead where the issue moved to RAM and then the CPU then all i can say is Best of Luck to you...
          Done here...

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 10:46:10 PM »
            Yes Patio, your steps are to use another mb - which I don't have.  Want to loan me yours?

So I have to rely upon the "experts" at ASUS who ought to know their boards better than anyone.

'nuff said.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 08:21:47 AM »
            No.
            My steps were to borrow a PCI-e vid card and test it in each PCI-e slot with both of your cards  removed to see if the slots are the issue...
            You obviously didn't read what was posted and made assumptions...
            And why would the so called experts jump from a vid card issue to a RAM issue and to a CPU issue ? ? Don't exactly sound like experts to me.
            nuff said.

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »
              OK, done that.

Problem still persists.

ASUS immediately said it was a memory problem as soon as I told them the beep sequence.  I obtained the Display Adaper diagnosis from a chart of A8N mb beeps and what they mean.  Obviously that chart (and I've seen it on more than one) is not accurate.

The guy said to test the memory by placing one stick in turn in each of the 4 slots.  If it ran on one or more and not on others, the mb was at fault.  However if it failed in every circumstance, the problem was the CPU.

On the phone the guy suggested I do the memory test with another stick, which I don't have...the idea being that both sticks somehow became corrupted simultaneously.  Hardly likely in my PC experience. 

The tests failed in every circumstance.  So therefore I'm looking at the CPU.  I can't lose here.  If it really isn't the CPU, all I've done is upgrade from an AMD 4800 to an AMD FX-60.  I'm not going to complain about that.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:30:18 PM by bullwinkle »