Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Modem Help  (Read 3086 times)

ginger1

Modem Help
« on: April 03, 2005, 11:23:44 PM »
Hi;
I recently replaced my dial up modem with a new one.  It is a Broadxent v.90.  It is pretty much the same as my Conexent which went bad.  My problem is that I cannot get quite the same download speed as I did with the old one.  The old modem gave me 3.00 to 3.50 kbps.  I can barely get 2.0 out of the new one.  It starts high, like around 4.5,but goes down quickly.  I know it is not the phone line because I have a laptop and get over 4.0 with the same phone line on it.  It dosen't matter where I have the modem speed set to in the software.  57600 or 115200, I get the same pathetic slow  download speed.  I would be very happy to get it back to at least a 3.0 like my old one.  Would appreciate any help!  My system is self built Duron 800 mhz 185 mg RAM.  Please don't bring up broadband!  I KNOW it's faster but the price is out of the question for the time being.  Thanks.
             John B.

jim_me2

Re: Modem Help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 08:11:25 PM »
I guess if it were me and the unit is new I would take/send it back for a replacement, or refund and get a better one.  Just my two cents worth.
jim

cigarman

Intermediate
    Re: Modem Help
    « Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 02:37:23 PM »
    You can ask your phone line provider to turn up the gain free of charge