Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer restarts constantly, and I can't get past the login screen.  (Read 28791 times)

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Re: Computer restarts constantly, and I can't get past the login screen.
    « Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 08:38:38 PM »
    Oh, i never thought to check there - I'll look tomorrow. Thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 09:00:12 PM »
    No problem...and Welcome Aboard !
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2008, 08:35:48 AM »
      Alot of local stores will carry it as well look around some have better prices walmart,staples maybe its kind of a hit or miss.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 12:55:25 PM »
        Hi everybody.
        I just went through my computer fans with a can of air, and it did not solve the issue.
        I won't have access to a PS\2 keyboard until Sunday, and I have not tried using a house fan yet (although I may soon).

Does anyone have any other suggestions until I try those two things?
        Also, what parts of my computer do you guys think may be damaged / crashing my computer (from heat overload or whatever it is)?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 01:18:32 PM »
        Your initial temps were already high...cleaning doesn't always solve it right away...
        DLoad and install SpeedFan and post your temps for now.
        Try using the machine as little as possible til we narrow this down unless you want to be buying a new machine.

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 02:26:51 PM »
          The OP won't be able to use SpeedFan until he can actually get into the OS.  Right now, he's stuck on the "F8" menu and his keyboard's not registering key presses.  Not much to do until he gets a PS/2 keyboard...
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #36 on: December 18, 2008, 07:03:05 PM »
            Alright, I'll wait for that keyboard.
            Is the PS\2 Keyboard sure to work, by the way? Is that why I havent been able to do anything on the F8 Menu?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #37 on: December 18, 2008, 07:20:26 PM »
            I was just attempting to move the process along killerb...
            I didn't re-read the entire thread to see what steps that were suggested were ignored.
            But good observation on your end.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 07:53:08 PM »
            Err, does the BIOS register Keyboard buttons?

Make sure to Enable USB Legacy devices (should be under chipset or advanced)

then your usb k/b should work in the F8 menu

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 08:47:03 AM »
              Using the PS\2 keyboard, I selected Last Good Configuration and got in to my OS. From there, I restored to a day before I tried to automatically tune with the Nvidia program.

I also installed speedfan. Here are the temperatures:

It seems parts of my computer are overheating =/
              I know that the GPU is the Graphics Card, but what's the Core?
              What can I do? Upgrade power supply, get more fans (although I don't know if there's space), or get a new case?
              What negative effects will result if I continue running my computer at this rate?

Raptor

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2008, 08:48:07 AM »
              Could you make a picture of the interior of your case? Easier to give advise that way.

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #41 on: December 22, 2008, 09:05:58 AM »

This is the best picture I could get with my cell phone - is that sufficient?

Raptor

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2008, 09:28:17 AM »
                Not really, no.

If you can't get a decent picture then just describe the kind of thermal paste used, the kind of cooling installed how many casefans you have.

I assume you've cleaned any dust that may have been present out of your fans by now?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                  • Yes
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                « Reply #43 on: December 22, 2008, 09:29:52 AM »
                Those temperatures are good.
                Core in this case is your graphics card's core temperature, which is why it's the same as GPU.

Raptor

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2008, 09:34:41 AM »
                In comparisment to the rest of the system, the videocard is too warm so there must a lack of airflow or a bad cooler in that general area. That should be fixed. The rest of the system is A-O.K.

Assuming you gave it the time to warm up first and not immediately made the screenshot after it had been cooled down several hours before turning it on.