Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pc wont download certain programs, wont restore etc.  (Read 2544 times)

brounsville

Topic Starter

Rookie

pc wont download certain programs, wont restore etc.
    « on: December 17, 2008, 08:06:26 AM »
    Hi, I just started using my moms pc and its been given me a few issues. something was wrong with the harddrive so that was replaced and windows was reinstalled.

Issues
    1. When Im doing a specific google search and click on the search link they take me to different websites.
    2. I've tried to download certain programs such as msn messenger and im being told Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. That also happens when im trying to visit certain sites for instance www.avg.com
    3.I recently downloaded avg from  mininova but its not allowing me to update the antivirus or the antispyware. Ive tried to get it from download.com and its also saying the same thing.
    4.I am also now getting a runtime error whenever I restart the computer ill post exactly what it says in a min.

please can somebody help. Im plucking out the little hair I have left on my head!! >:(

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: pc wont download certain programs, wont restore etc.
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 08:09:35 AM »
    What Operating System is this?

What Antivirus do you have now?

Can you try Firefox?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 08:14:45 AM »
    Also any firewall installed on that machine ? ?
    The browser re-direction may be a sign of an infection...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

brounsville

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 09:15:05 AM »
      Hi yeh its a windows XP Im using. Ive installedThe avg anti virus software but like I said its not letting me update the antivirus or antispyware.

the message that im now getting when I restart my pc is -Component 'MSWINSCK.OCX'or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid-

I have a hijackthis log should I post it?

I've tried using firefox and it does the same, also I've tried a few time to restore the pc to another date and its giving me errors or not starting.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:20:10 AM »
      Winsock Fix

This may or may not fix the issue but running it won't harm anything.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

elliwigy

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 04:14:55 PM »
        This very much sounds like a virus or other related issue.  Does the pc have multiple hard drives? or just one?  Was the pc running fine when you first did a clean install of windows?  If so, it's possible you attained a virus or have been hacked after you installed windows.  The fact that it's not letting you browse the internet, or update your virus definitions suggests a virus.  If all else fails, try reformatting and doing yet another clean install, and make sure to get anti virus software and a decent firewall immediately.

[link removed]
        « Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:19:03 PM by CBMatt »