Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How hot is too hot?  (Read 35137 times)

Raptor

Re: How hot is too hot?
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2008, 12:11:55 PM »
Raptor: that doesn't mean it will never exceed that temperature. If the case is poorly ventilated, or the thermal paste or cooler isn't applied correctly, then it will go higher.

I refuse to believe that. I thought a Star Trek like fail-safe switch would kick in that would immediately materialize ice-crystals from a distant planet directly inside the CPU heatsink leading to a massive cool-down to keep it -exactly- below 72.4C.

Another question- When my computer is idling it stays around 38 celcius and when its playing COD4 it goes up to about 80 celcius, is that normal?

Uh, didn't we go over this? Don't use that computer for intensive tasks unless the problem surrounding the heat dissipation is solved.

When I said "Have it looked at" I actually meant "Have someone install a quality cooler (Zalman, for example), apply thermal paste according to the manufacturer's instructions and make sure that whoever looks at it knows what he's doing. IE: Do not ask the mailman.

I can't be more clear than this really. Oh, if you keep using it at 80C you'll void your warranty and screw up your processor.

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2008, 02:03:57 PM »
I was only using it to make sure that my graphics card was working properly because i had to download a new driver for it to work right.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2008, 11:16:43 PM »
Another question- When my computer is idling it stays around 38 celcius and when its playing COD4 it goes up to about 80 celcius, is that normal?
If you're asking if it's normal for temperatures to go up when running resource-intensive programs, yes.

At idle, your computer's processor(s) aren't under a lot of stress because they are only processing a couple million instructions per second.
When running a game like COD, they need to start calculating perhaps a hundred million instructions every second, generating far more heat then at idle.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2008, 05:24:36 AM »
Carbon: it is not normal for that CPU to go up to 80C.  It's normal for it to increase in temperature, but here's an example.  With the stock cooler and thermal paste on my CPU, with only an exhaust fan, I was idling at around 40C, load at around 65.  80C is dangerous and is outside the manufacturer's specification.  If the CPU now fails, the temperature is the reason why, and I'm pretty sure your warranty has been voided.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2008, 05:31:30 AM »
Carbon: it is not normal for that CPU to go up to 80C.
Yeah, 80C is pretty way up there.
I said they do increase in temperature when running resource-intensive application.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2008, 05:42:07 AM »
I just thought that gave the wrong impression, saying that it was normal.
I wouldn't like to see any of my CPUs that high whether their thermal specification was 65C (my family's A64) or 95C (my Turion).
To see something above spec like that, when these CPUs are renowned for running cool, means something is way wrong.
Again, an example from me - once I got some real thermal paste and an intake fan, my temperatures above dropped to around 35 idle, 60 load.
With the low end aftermarket cooler that I have now, my CPU idles in the high 20s and load at mid 40s, on a hot day with the fan speed on low.  That's with a decent overclock too.

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2008, 11:49:05 AM »
Ok, so if I were to get some aftermarket cooling for the CPU do you guys have any suggestions for what I should get because I have no idea.

Raptor

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2008, 11:55:38 AM »
Ok, so if I were to get some aftermarket cooling for the CPU do you guys have any suggestions for what I should get because I have no idea.

A Zalman cooler. The CNPS9500 or something more modern.

http://zalman.co.kr/eng/main.asp

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2008, 03:41:15 PM »

I looked at the CNPS9500 and there were some different variants to this model so i was wondering if there is a specific one i should look at or are they all the same.

Raptor

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2008, 04:20:39 PM »

I looked at the CNPS9500 and there were some different variants to this model so i was wondering if there is a specific one i should look at or are they all the same.

Yeah, some aren't 100% copper and thus cheaper. One comes with a LED and another one with an 80mm instead of a 92mm fan if I'm right. There are probably some more variations.

Do some research, make sure you get a fan that suits your needs. IE: Big fan and lots of copper.

Also keep in mind that these coolers are tall and heavy. Make sure your mainboard is mounted properly and that it can handle the weight.

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »
OK thanks i will look into it some more and have someone take a look at it in a few days or so.

Raptor

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2008, 04:38:42 PM »
OK thanks i will look into it some more and have someone take a look at it in a few days or so.

You could post a picture of your computer case if you'd like to hear some advise on how to improve airflow.

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2008, 04:13:51 PM »
Here's a link to the case from where i got it from.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=antec%20900

I have the 2 front 120mm fans on high and the top 200mm and rear 120mm fan on medium.

Raptor

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »
That seems alright.

Bit odd that the PSU is at the bottom, is the 120mm fan of your PSU (Assuming it has one) pointing upwards or towards the ground?

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2008, 04:27:13 PM »
It points up towards the top of the case.
Personally i don't like it on the bottom of the case because the air the fan blows into the case hits the graphics card (which has its own fan) and then is pulled out the case by the rear fan (which blows air out of the case) before it can have any effect on the CPU.