Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Weird booting problem with vista  (Read 8849 times)

Blade285

Topic Starter

Beginner

Weird booting problem with vista
    « on: December 18, 2008, 03:41:01 PM »
    i just wiped my drives and reinstalled vista ultimate 64-bit.
    i found that my original vista disk wasnt bootable so i installed vLite and told it to create a bootable disk.
    it worked nicely and i installed from boot.
    now, when i start up my computer (even with changed bios, like changing boot priorities) if i DO NOT have the disk in i get the message 'DISK BOOT ERROR, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'
    but when i start up with the vista disk in my CD Drive, it says 'Press any key to boot from CD' then if i leave it vista goes on to boot as usual, or as expected if i press a key it goes to vista install.
    why won't vista just start up without the disk in?
    btw. i know this is quite confusing so just ask for any more information!
    'Have you tried turning it on and off? Have you checked it's plugged in?'- The IT Crowd automated help system

Raptor

Re: Weird booting problem with vista
    « Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 03:42:14 PM »
    What mainboard are you using?

The M2N-MX (If I recall properly) by Asus used to have a problem where it'd forget where Vista was installed.. Flashing the BIOS fixed that.

Blade285

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 03:44:13 PM »
      ASUS m2n32-sli deluxe
      i'm using Phoenix 1903 bios
      'Have you tried turning it on and off? Have you checked it's plugged in?'- The IT Crowd automated help system

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 03:48:16 PM »
      No such problem mentioned in the BIOS fix list.

What is your boot order?
      Did you install Vista with a cardreader connected?
      Any anomalies during the installation?
      What kind of hardware do you have?

Blade285

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 03:51:07 PM »
        home built computer, amd 64 x2 4800+, 4gb ram.
        i tried both boot orders- CD-ROM then HARD DRIVE and the other way round, exactly the same result :S
        no anomalies, i did unplug my IDE drive (previous C drive) so i could easily get windows to install a new C... that could be the proplem...
        and i only had the disk in, nothing like a cardreader

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 03:52:19 PM »
        home built computer,

What, you made it out of parts you found around home? "Geeh, this calculator might make for a good processor"...

If you unhook the IDE drive, does Vista start?

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 03:52:56 PM »
          sounds like your boot manager is empty and/or messed up...

goto another machine and download this to a flash drive or whatever:

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

put it on your vista machine, boot with the CD in and install the program then

setup your vista boot manager and then see if it'll boot without the CD...read the
          help file for info to use easybcd...

Good Luck

Blade285

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 03:56:19 PM »
            i haven't put it back in because i have plenty of spare space atm, i decided to leave it till i needed it because it's slow :)

fgdn, i wasnt really watching the install (because that's boring) but i think that i saw something say BOOTMGR is missing... everything went fine though...
            ah another thing there is a BOOTSECT.BAK file in my other hard drive

so i basically download the program, put it where? then boot using vista CD and install what program? :S

Blade285

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 04:01:10 PM »
              i decided to take a screenshot of disk management in case it helps... seems to be system files on DISK 0 (non vista disk)

[attachment deleted by admin]

killerb255

Adviser
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 04:12:22 PM »
                i just wiped my drives and reinstalled vista ultimate 64-bit.
                i found that my original vista disk wasnt bootable

Your original, genuine Vista DVD is not bootable?  How can that be?

so i installed vLite and told it to create a bootable disk.
                it worked nicely and i installed from boot.
                now, when i start up my computer (even with changed bios, like changing boot priorities) if i DO NOT have the disk in i get the message 'DISK BOOT ERROR, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'
                but when i start up with the vista disk in my CD Drive, it says 'Press any key to boot from CD' then if i leave it vista goes on to boot as usual, or as expected if i press a key it goes to vista install.
                why won't vista just start up without the disk in?

Your BCD database got jacked up somehow.  The Vista install probably thought your card reader was a bootable drive or something.

In any case, go ahead and boot from the CD to the Vista installer. 

Select "Repair my computer".  It should automatically fix your bcd database to point to the correct boot drive.
                Quote from: talontromper
                Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 07:47:26 PM »
                Your original, genuine Vista DVD is not bootable?  How can that be?

Herein lies the dilemna...
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Blade285

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 08:02:52 AM »
                  the EasyBCD thing said it worked but still the same problem and my vista install disk says that it can't recover it or something, im currently downloading the recovery disk from NeoSmart

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 08:13:57 AM »
                  So were not chasing gremlins here where is this Vista DVD from ? ?
                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 08:19:54 AM »
                    the EasyBCD thing said it worked but still the same problem and my vista install disk says that it can't recover it or something, im currently downloading the recovery disk from NeoSmart

after installing easybcd did you setup your vista boot manager and then see if it'll boot without the CD...read the
                    help file for info to use easybcd...

???

Blade285

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 08:21:45 AM »
                      not windows...
                      just tried the recovery disk and it now says that there are NO bootup problems...
                      i then tested whether my pc would start with any old bootable disk in the drive, and it can
                      it's definitely not needed whatever it wants to do... :S
                      basically, there's nothing wrong according to vista and diagnostics but it still wants a cd there...

and i'll try that, i just installed the program, pressed diagnostics and it also said everything was fine :S