Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Failure  (Read 16649 times)

Hammer1

Topic Starter

Rookie

USB Failure
    « on: December 19, 2008, 11:29:41 AM »
    My two USB ports from motherboard and three from PCI card are not working and I'm in desperate need of assistance.  So far I have:
    Checked in BIOS and indicates USB is ENABLED and supporting high speed.
    Device Manager says everything working properly, shows no problems. Checked updates just in case, all the most recent are installed.
    Went into Power Management and unchecked box " allow computer to turn off devices to save power"
    I then disconnected pc form wall outlet for an hour in case pc was holding settings
    Powered up and ports still not working.
    Is there anything else I can check or do, I'm wide open to suggestions
    Thanks in advance

fgdn17

Hopeful

Re: USB Failure
      « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:06:25 PM »
      if you remove the pci usb card do the ones on the mother board work??

start there, if they don't work..can you disable them and just try the pci card ones???

Good Luck

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 03:42:28 AM »
      What Windows/Service pack and other important information that is lacking?

Hammer1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 09:55:01 AM »
         Win XP Home edition with SP3

I just had eye surgery and will have to get assistance in removing pci card but I disabled all ports and then Enabled them one at a time, tried them individually. I also did everything previously mentioned in SafeMode also, no luck
        I tired both printer and digital camera in each port too, but to no avail
        That's where I sit now, Dead in The Water ???

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 09:56:57 AM »
        Are the USB controllers detected in your device manager?

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 11:52:57 AM »
          Win XP Home edition with SP3

I just had eye surgery and will have to get assistance in removing pci card but I disabled all ports and then Enabled them one at a time, tried them individually. I also did everything previously mentioned in SafeMode also, no luck
          I tired both printer and digital camera in each port too, but to no avail
          That's where I sit now, Dead in The Water ???

Humor me...

disabling is not good enough...REMOVE the pci card, then boot up,goto control panel, system, hardware, device manager and select the plus sign next to universal serial bus controllers, right click each controller and select uninstall...re-boot and let them be configured, check the 2 usb ports...report results...

Thanks

Hammer1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 06:52:52 PM »
            When I got this thing apart, then realized there is no pci usb card . my Intel D865perl mobo has 4 internal header connections that must be controlling the front usb ports

USB Ports    4 from Back Panel, 4 from Internal Header - USB 2.0 (from Intel)

Yes, the USB controllers are detected in device manager.

Uninstalled, re-booted, still no operating USB ports

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 08:22:29 PM »
            A 4 port PCI/USB card with firewire also will run you about 15 to 30 dollars depending on where you are...
            Installation with help from a friend should take no longer than 15 minutes tops.

Although not the most glamarous solution probably the least painful...
            Best of Luck.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 08:23:23 PM »
              usb controller on motherboard must be dead...!!!???

but strange that you say "the USB controllers are detected in device manager."

found this for your mobo:

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-009024.htm

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=949&DwnldID=14713&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional&lang=eng

just an FYI-

Good Luck

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 02:27:58 AM »
              What kind of USB devices are you trying to connect?

Hammer1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 07:53:13 AM »
                I have a Lexmark 8350 printer that I only use once a month or so ,just to keep the ink moving. Rarely use it.
                And a Fuji digital camera. This whole thing came to light when I went to upload a couple of pics to the computer.
                Yes, the controllers show up in the device manager

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 08:10:30 AM »
                So the printer is not recognized either?

What happens if you remove the camera from the device manager and then reconnect it?

Hammer1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 09:53:56 AM »

I can't find the camera in device manager unless it is covered by " plug and play software enumerator" which is active. This is not new hardware, both printer and camera about two years old and have been working fine. My son sometimes used a little portable drive that contains his resume etc in the usb port too which never gave a problem.

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 09:59:15 AM »
                  You'll have to uncover hidden devices first. Go Here

I'd delete all ghost entries related to USB devices.

Hammer1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 12:25:31 PM »

This was at the start of your link:

Device Manager displays only non-Plug and Play devices, drivers, and printers when you click Show hidden devices on the View menu. Devices that you install that are not connected to the computer (such as a Universal Serial Bus [USB] device or "ghosted" devices) are not displayed in Device Manager, even when you click Show hidden devices.

I couldn't find anything camera related in device manager.  ??? ??? ???