Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: moniter stopped working  (Read 6781 times)

travis

moniter stopped working
« on: April 08, 2005, 09:52:43 AM »
Ok, my moniter has been working fine until I moved it and when I plugged it back in and turn  the computer back on it starts up fine, but right before the windows logon screen comes the moniter turns off.  Please Help

running winxp
moniter HP V50

rs8389

Re: moniter stopped working
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 01:39:42 PM »
Does it literally "turn off", or is the power light still on, just that it doesn't show anything?  Also, did you only move the monitor, or did you also move the computer?  What gfx card (Integrated, AGP, or PCI and model)?  Does the monitor give you any messages when it shuts down?

travis

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 01:49:22 PM »
Ok, it does not turn off the power light changes from green to orange.  Not sure on the graphics card and yes i only did move the moniter.  No messages just goes black.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 02:42:50 PM »
    Check all your cable connections.  ;)

travis

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 02:56:31 PM »
    all the cables are connected and look fine

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 03:01:36 PM »
    Did you disconnect any of the cables in the moving process? Check the power cord... Make sure that it is in all the way, and it is in there tight...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

travis

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 03:10:08 PM »
    All the cables are connected nice and tight.  I just took the cover off the case and made sure the vid card was nice a snug.  And still nothing.   Its weird cause it works until its about to get to the logon screen and then blank and the green power button the moniter turns orange.

travis

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 03:19:21 PM »
    Ok, made a bunch of progress.  I took out my vid card and plugged the moniter into the onboard video on the motherboard and presto it came on fine.  So i guess my vid card went bad or the slot on the motherboard went bad.  How can i tell which one went bad?

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 03:24:15 PM »
      Now try it back in your video card.

travis

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 03:29:20 PM »
      I did and had the same problem.  But did the card go bad or was it the port on the motherboard.

ojas25

Apprentice

• My Computer World
        « Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 03:35:32 PM »
        HI Can you move the card to another PCI slot?
        Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 03:40:15 PM »
        To another slot?! In another computer?! Not without installing drivers first!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

travis

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 06:20:28 PM »
        No I did not try to move it to another computer.

Fed

• Sage
          « Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 06:54:56 PM »
          Just a thought Travis, is there anywhere in your bios to enable/disable the onboard video?
          It may have got changed or gone into default mode from a flat battery or something, just thinking out loud here.

travis

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 07:20:08 PM »
          I went through the bios when this problem first happened and i did not see it anywhere in there

Fed

• Sage
            « Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 07:37:24 PM »
            When the monitor light goes to orange, have you tried pushing the monitor power button?

rs8389

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2005, 04:37:16 AM »
            I had a similar situation...  But that was with onboard gfx, when I accidentally uninstalled my vga drivers =P  Except in my case, after the logon screen, my monitor just said something about the monitor not being able to display the screen.  If this be the case, I think you might be able to fix it by pressing F8 upon boot, and booting into Safe Mode.  From there, you can try reinstalling your gfx card drivers...  In any case, that solved it for me.

tigger6

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 07:44:03 AM »
             :-[ :-[
            i have had a similar problem with my monitor
            using win xp
            i did move the monitor and computer as i was installing a new dvd/rw
            when i turn on the monitor within a few seconds not even a boot comes up it turns it back to the orange light which says power saving
            previously it did this when i first got the pc and i thought it was something on the motherboard so i took things out and plugged them back in and for some reason i am not sure why it started working again bu1t now it is doing the same thing
            i know i should of checked the pc before i installed the dvd but its to late now
            any ideas

Rob May

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 05:03:43 AM »
            Same exact problem has happened to me a few times within the past couple months, although for me it's not upon startup, it's just randomly as i'm messing on the computer and the only solution i've found is to restart and then it has worked fine again.  Would be interesting to figure out what's causing this.

Ash

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 08:12:18 AM »
            Try going into 'Safe Mode' to see if the display switches off. 9You can do this by restarting your pc and repeatedly hitting the F8 key until you get a list of options, of which you need to choose safe mode)
            If it does, than it is likely to be a hardware problem (ie, the GFX card), if it does not, than try reinstalling the GFX drivers in safe mode or lowering the resolution.