Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: iPod Touch > Router > Computer (as WAN) > Internet  (Read 13106 times)

caHarkness

Topic Starter

Rookie

iPod Touch > Router > Computer (as WAN) > Internet
    « on: December 31, 2008, 06:45:28 PM »
    I have looked on Google for HOURs looking for a good tutorial, but I cannot seem to find the right kind of help. What I need to get done is for my iPod Touch to connect to internet through my Computer, which is connected to the internet through an internal dial up modem. (AOL dynamic IP address)

I don't need feedback telling me: "Why don't you just switch?" or "Why do you want to share a dial up connection" IT DOESN'T HELP. I need help.

I know my way around the wireless router setup and how to configure settings, but I am truly unsure what settings to change. My iPod Touch connects to my router just fine, but where do I go from there?

I have tried everything I have read, regardless if it was right or wrong, and I am still unable to successfully do this. I can tell you that I have tried connecting the Ethernet cable from the WAN port to the LAN port on my computer, but I am utterly clueless on what to do. I have heard about bridging.. but I do not understand it exactly.

I would prefer if you guys write up your own tutorial instead of giving me a link to a tutorial.. IT NEVER WORKS.

Thanks for your help.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: iPod Touch > Router > Computer (as WAN) > Internet
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 06:12:22 AM »
    Quick question. Are you trying to connect the ITouch to the internet? If so, you've tried a Wireless Router?
    What exactly are you trying to do?

My iPod Touch connects to my router just fine, but where do I go from there?
    Again, what do you mean? Are you looking for a way to use the internet after you're connected?

Perhaps a link to the tutorial(s) so we have an idea of what's up?

caHarkness

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 09:15:38 AM »
      Yes, I want it to connect to the Internet.. but through my computer. Now, I figured: There is only one way to do this and it is to use a wireless router. I am using a wireless router..

I basically want my WiFi device (the iPod Touch) to connect to the router and surf the internet.
      The way my computer is connected to the internet is through Dial-up.. (Internal PCI Modem)

caHarkness

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »
        Bump.

Come on people, I need some help!
        How can I make this work?

iPod > Wireless Router > My Computer > Internet
        (When 'My Computer' is connected to the Internet without the router's help.)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 12:03:19 AM »
        Chill. we don't offer 24 hour service here.

So you're connected to the wireless router, right? Do you not have any web browsing applications?

caHarkness

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »
          Safari on my iPod can browse the web fine. So does IE on my PC.
          Sorry if I sounded rude, but I am just determined to get this to work.

I just don't excactly know how the whole IP/Gateway thing works.
          I want to make my iPod connect to my wireless router, (which I already have done) but connect it to the internet through my computer. My computer is already connected to the internet through dial-up.

The router itself does not connect to the internet.. my computer does, I want my computer to act as the WAN.. or my dial-up connection to act as the WAN. But I can't directly connect my modem to the router because it is only a PCI modem..

Not smart

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 12:19:16 AM »
            have u thought of buying a modem from walmart the ones with the phone jack on one end and a miniport on the other end and hook the wireless router to modem and the modem dials out to the internet.  Then the wireless router has internet.

josh1988

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 04:41:21 AM »
            I had this problem too but I found a way using my computers internet and connecting a cg814wg modem by usb so I can use wifi on my ipod touch. It works...its not entirely fast and stable but 90% of the time its fine. Heres what I did:
            Connected the modem by usb to my computer
            In Networks connections it should say you have another connection.
            Make sure you create another password for your usb modem.

Go to properties of the already connected internet then advanced.
            Check the "Allow networks users to connect through this computer's internet connection"

When you search on your ipod for wifi the name of your modem should appear.

Worked for me.