Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sending an SMS from a PC using GPRS card  (Read 7146 times)

ald35

Sending an SMS from a PC using GPRS card
« on: April 12, 2005, 04:26:18 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Computerhope and I "hope" that you guys can help me out.

My "high-level" goal is to create a user interface that will be able to interact with my GPRS Card with the goal of sending SMS's (text messages) from my PC to mobile phone users.  

Does anyone have any idea how to do this?  Or any resources?  I am capable of coding VB, but I don't know Java.  What programming language do I have to use for this, or is is not important?  How do I go about connecting to the GPRS card, etc...?

There it is!  Hope you guys have some ideas!

Thanks a lot!

Tony

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
Re: Sending an SMS from a PC using GPRS card
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 06:17:37 AM »
You need to purchase a SMS server ($$$). A cheaper solution is a plugin to Outlook. This seems reasonable since if you know VB, you can use the Outlook object programmatically.

http://www.brothersoft.com/Internet_Communication_MSOutlook_Plugin_Client_500_Messages_22401.html

There are also internet service sites (usually a telcom) that will allow you to send a message. I guess they charge the receipient.

Hope this helps.  8)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

ald35

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 01:52:56 AM »
Thanks!

Do you know how to do this w/o using Outlook?  I want to build an "in-house" application that will be able to control the GPRS and SIM card combo directly.  the SIM card will already be registered with a telecom company so I would effectively just be sending an SMS from my laptop to the telecom company and then they would send it on to the person.

Sorry if that was confusing, basically I would rather not use outlook but use a custom built app.  Any ideas on how to control the GPRS from a custom app?

Thanks!
Tony

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 05:56:09 AM »
There is a Java API for the SIM but I'm unclear if it's available. Check out these articles:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:qZsm9ZT8BjMJ:www.asiatele.com/wireless/schlumberger.doc+sim+card+programming&hl=en&client=firefox-a

http://unix.be.eu.org/docs/smart-card-developer-kit/ch08/181-183.html

This stuff is pretty new and a lot of the technology is proprietary.

Good luck.  8)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

ald35

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 09:13:04 PM »
Thanks guys!

I'll take a look and then write back if I've got questions..

cheers,

Tony