Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wireless-G worked better than wireless-N  (Read 4009 times)

bparker

Topic Starter

Starter

wireless-G worked better than wireless-N
    « on: January 01, 2009, 02:56:28 PM »
    I just purchased a wireless-N (D-Link DIR-615) router along with a couple "N" adapters (one is Trendnet TEW-624).  I have my xbox 360 wired to the router to stream my media through my Media Center Vista PC.  This worked relatively good with my old "G" router, it was a little slow at times.  I thought going with the "N" technology would increase the experience but apparently I was wrong.  Is there something I can do to increase the performance?  Also, I was using remote desktop the other night from my laptop to one of my pcs in another room and it was rediculously slow also. Any suggestions?

Thanks

jlsdust

Beginner

Re: wireless-G worked better than wireless-N
      « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 04:14:13 PM »
      Hi:

There are alternatives to stream media to your XBOX 360 without WMC, like TVersity(Free) and Playon( free for 14 days, $30 to keep it) the last one includes video streaming from HULU, You tube and Nextflix. Also with the new XBOX 360 update, all you need is to setup your media sharing on your Window media player, which also support AVI and some DIVX's. 

In WMP this what you need to do:

1.    Click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click Media Sharing.
      2.    In the Media Sharing dialog box, select the Share my media check box.

Here is a link with more info about this matter:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/7391bdc3-3767-4f98-9

Now in order to access your media with your XBOX 360 all you need to do is to go to your Video, Music, or picture Tab on your Dashboard.

bparker

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 04:23:53 PM »
        I have TVersity on one of my other machines, it worked fine for about 10 minutes then it crapped out.  I was just listening to music and then it would pause for a minute, and then start again, then pause, then start and eventually it just stopped.  With my "G" setup I was streaming live TV.

jlsdust

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 10:07:37 PM »
          Well, have you try just using your WMP to stream your media? If TVersity is giving you problem, try to disable it and use WMP instead. It works really well in my XBOX 360. Check your internet speed, sometimes it slows down and all you need to do is restart your modem.

I use this link to check my internet speed when I feel is slow.
          http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Now give WMP a try, make sure your firewall is setup correctly:

This link tell you how to setup you firewall:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/extender/setup/default.mspx

bparker

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 07:44:50 AM »
            thanks, I ended up just hooking my "g" router back up and using that solely for my media and using my "n" router for my internet.

jlsdust

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:50:45 PM »
              Great, I glad you fix your problem!  ;D