Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: im a beginner please help  (Read 13970 times)

fkw

im a beginner please help
« on: May 30, 2004, 02:11:32 PM »
Hi, over the last year i have taught myself HTML to build a family website, now my website is almost complete and i need to put it on the web, i want a low cost host and my own domain, unfortunately there is not alot of reading material available on this and stil don't know what everything means, its all jargon to me! I need to be able for people to complete my forms, i havent used frames and i have spent ages looking for the right host, could someone please help me with my specification and to also maybe give me some good hosts that they have experienced! I probably look really stupid but would someone please help me

Joleen

Re: im a beginner please help
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 05:41:04 AM »
Are your forms HTML or are they PHP or CGI?  If they're basic HTML then you should be able to use one of the many free hosting systems like.. hrmm.. Yahoo I think is one, OH! Geocities is the other big one.  The free guys like to put a graphic or advertisement on your site but if you can live with that then you're cool.  If you don't have enough room on the geocities, get several accounts and have different sections of your site on their own account then just link from 'site' to 'site'.

folklore

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 06:33:52 AM »
Regardless whether your forms are CGI, PHP or PERL, I can also provide free hosting for you.

Like Geocities/yahoo or whoever else that offers free hosting, I also require an advertisement, but I require an opening page that says - sponsored by.... and then I place NO OTHER ads on your site.

Send me a message if you're interested.

Regards,

FolkLore

fkw

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 08:35:03 AM »
Are your forms HTML or are they PHP or CGI?

you see that basically the problem, Im only really a beginnner, i taught myself, what is PHP and CGI? Basically I have built this website with HTML and have included forms, all I want is to find a decent website host that will allow me some webspace and allow my forms to be completed and returned to my email! please help, very confused!

folklore

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 10:01:28 AM »
Okay, if you don't know what PHP, CGI or ASP are, then I am 100% sure that you are not using any of those technologies.

Did you create your page with FrontPage? If so, your forms are probably working with Frontpage extensions or some scripts that you have downloaded.

Please read my previous post about the hosting.

Joleen

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 10:03:39 AM »
If it's basic HTML <form> blah blah </form> then any free host will accept it.

FinalFantasyVII

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 02:26:51 PM »
im new but i did make a site its called www.finalfantasyvii.freehosting.net all i did was go to www.freeservers.com and i clicked on free and it will help you form there ;D

fkw

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 09:31:16 AM »
im thinkn of using www.fastband.tv, sounds good, any comments?

Joleen

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 09:42:21 AM »
If you have the cash then it looks pretty decent.  Most midrange budget hosting companies don't allow for .asp or databases.

fkw

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 09:45:45 AM »
so u rekon this is a good site? I have noticed however that www.fastband.CO.UK is the same but the packages are slighty different in terms of size and domain extensions.

Joleen

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 11:36:30 AM »
If you're just planning to host a family site then the basic package is waaaay more than enough.  If you want to have audio/video then you might start to push the size limits but I doubt it.  Since you'd be formatting your images/video for the 'net, everything should be much smaller in size than the original (the bigger a file is the longer it takes for your viewers to download it).

As for how good it is?  I've never dealt with them so I can't really say.  They *seem* cheap and the sizes are great but that's the limit of my knowledge, sorry.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 11:38:00 AM by Joleen »

Pete123

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 09:07:40 AM »
I am also a rookie and would like to know how to get my website onto a search engine can somebody tell me please?

Joleen

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 09:20:20 AM »
Lots of methods.  You can pay to have it listed.  Most search engines will find you eventually.  To be listed higher you should have other sites linking to yours, meta tags, and some think that the pertinant data should be higher in your source code.  Look here..

http://www.google.ca/webmasters/

southernlady

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 08:09:15 PM »
What type of family site...cause there ARE other ways of getting your family site on the web for free but it depends on what you are doing with it.

If it's genealogical in orientation, then go look at www.rootsweb.com That's where I have one of my pages. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~ramseytaylor/ They have two different types of accounts for use, freepages and homepages. I don't know the difference but I'm using the freepages. Liz