Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: im buying a new computer  (Read 3090 times)

kajun

Topic Starter

Rookie

im buying a new computer
    « on: January 08, 2009, 09:41:06 AM »
    i weas wondering if i would be better off with a  dual core, are a quad core.
    i have noticed that the duals are usually like 3ghz and the quads are like 2.4's or 2.6
     i mostly play cod 4 but would like to play the new call of duty, and cyriss.
     any help would be appreciated

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: im buying a new computer
    « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 09:43:51 AM »
    Budget ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kajun

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 09:50:39 AM »
      $1,500

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 09:52:49 AM »
      We're gonna have fun with this one...
      Calum hasn't had this much bread to spend in awhile... ;D
      Be patient.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 10:17:42 AM »
       ;)
      Few more questions for you, kajun, if you don't mind, and welcome to the forums.

Do you need a keyboard, mouse, monitor, operating system, or anything else other than the actual computer itself?
      I'm assuming you're in the US but could you please confirm that, to make sure we're looking at the right site(s)?
      Will you be building your own computer?  Building your own will give you much more flexibility, and should work out cheaper, but on the other hand it of course will take a little more time and effort, plus you need to know what you're doing.  It's not as hard as you may think, though, so certainly solvating to look into - I almost always recommend building your own if you can over buying a pre-built computer.  Even if you can't build your own, or don't feel comfortable doing so, do you know anyone or anywhere that would do it for you?

Looking forward to getting my teeth into this one ;D

kajun

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 10:44:10 AM »
        Ok Patio here goes, yes im in the US, i do need a monitor,& operating system. I can pick up a mouse, and a key board,
         I would love to build my own system but have read to many horror stories, I have two mane questions.
        (1) just wondering to go with a quad or duo, AMD or INTEL.
        (2) Why woul some one run more than 1 video card, & how much ram do I realy need.
        (3)I have a GeForce 8400, with 528 mb of ram built in, not sure if its shared or dedicated, Its way better than the intergrated video card that came with the comp. but havent noticed anything dramatic could be my monitor i guess.

i will probably buy a computor out of a store, or online were u order what u want .
        just not sure what i want, or need.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP U CAN OFFER.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 03:00:20 AM »
        1) It all depends on what's available at the time.  Right now, for your needs a fast dual core would be best.  I'd recommend a quad core however, because newer games and apps will take advantage of the extra cores.  I'm an Intel fan at the minute, but if AMD had soemthing better, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, I'm not biased.
        2) More than one video card is useful for extra performance.  ATI's Crossfire allows you to use more than one ATI card together to get extra performance, if supported by the game.  Nvidia's SLI allows the same with identical Nvidia cards.  How much RAM you need depends on the operating system you get, and some other factors.  I'd recommend 4GB at the minute.
        3) Not sure if that's a question or just a statement, but that card is extremely weak for gaming so you'd see a huge jump in performance from a decent card.

Are you going to build your own computer or buy a pre-built one?

kajun

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 08:32:42 AM »
          I HAVE HEARD TO MANY HORROR STORIES ABOUT BUILDING YOUR OWN COM. SO I WILL PROBABLY BUY 1 OR ORDER ONE ON LINE. HOW ABOUT VIDEO CARD GE FORCE OR ATI. AND WHAT VIDEO CARD WOULD YOU RECOMEND.

A LITTLE HISTORY OF ME AND COMPUTORS THIS IS MY SECOND  COMP. FIRST A HP.AMD PROCESSOR SMALL MAYBE 1.6 GHZ INTERGRATED VIDEO CARD, UPGRADED RAM TO 512, BOUGHT A PCI GE FORCE CARD CHEAP HELPED,80 GIG HD DRIVE WAS NOT PLAYING ONLIE GAMES @ THE TIME.

SECOND COMP. E MACHINE 512 GIG RAM UPGRADED TO 2 GIGS,INTERGRADED VIDEO CARD, UP GRADED TO GEFORCE 8400 512, AMD 64 ATHOLON, 3200B 160 HD DRIVE, MONITOR'S ABOUT 4OR 5 YEARS OLD  A VPR MATRIX17''WINDOWS XP SERVICE PAC 2

QUESTION SHOULD I GET XP OR ISIT GOING TO HAVE TO BE VISTA

joevh09

Hopeful
            • Yes
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »
          I HAVE HEARD TO MANY HORROR STORIES ABOUT BUILDING YOUR OWN COM. SO I WILL PROBABLY BUY 1 OR ORDER ONE ON LINE. HOW ABOUT VIDEO CARD GE FORCE OR ATI. AND WHAT VIDEO CARD WOULD YOU RECOMEND.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 9800gtx+ which is a great card and would recommend it to anybody. It plays cod4 amazingly with all the settings on high without lagging.

kajun

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »
            THANKS JOEVH09 
            HOW MUCH DID THAT CARD $ COST, ARE U RUNNING XP OR VISTA,

HOW OFTEN DO U PLAY COD4?  AND ON WHAT SERVER DO U PLAY?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 01:16:49 PM »
            Lose the capslocks please...

Blade285

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 02:29:57 PM »
              i reckon the dell xps 630 would do ok for your budget.
              although you could get more for your money building it yourself

alienware are also good quality
              'Have you tried turning it on and off? Have you checked it's plugged in?'- The IT Crowd automated help system

joevh09

Hopeful
                • Yes
              • Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 02:53:48 PM »
              The card costs around $140. Heres a link to it-(Note: Its an open box so i wouldn't recommend buying that card on the link)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121265R

Asus also came out with a newer 9800gtx+ thats runs cooler and costs around $200
              heres a link to it-
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121284

I would also look at the newer Nvidia GTX 200 series cards the only thing is they cost way more than my 9800.
              The ATI Radeon hd 4800 series cards are also some good ones you might want to look into.

I don't currently have internet on my pc so i don't play online but i will soon be getting it.

I have windows XP